Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge symmetry and symmetry breaking

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    How would one know in general, whether an original gauge symmetry in the theory is still gauge symmetrical after symmetry breaking? I mean is there a theorem or something like that?
    And the other way around, is there a general way of knowing whether there is the possibility of a hidden, i.e. not manifest gauge symmetry from a theory?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2007 #2

Haelfix

Science Advisor

Yes the gauge symmetry is still there in the full theory, its just not manifest anymore b/c the perturbative solution has broken the original symmetry down to a subgroup.

From the point of view of effective field theory with some set cutoffs, its no longer relevant.

The only way a gauge symmetry can dissappear in quantum field theory, is if there is an anomaly present. Those sorts of theories are generally believed to be inconsistent.

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3
    That's what I was thinking. I was doing scalar electrodynamics after symmetry breaking, adding the ghost term and the [tex]R_{\xi}[/tex] gauge, computing the one-loop correction to the effective potential.

The question asked to show that to one-loop correction, the effective potential does not depend on [tex]\xi[/tex]. But my corrections failed to cancel half of the terms with [tex]\xi[/tex].
    That's how this question I posted came into my mind. Perhaps the question was wrong, and indeed the gauge symmetry is no longer manifest after symmetry breaking. Hence, it does depend on [tex]\xi[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?