Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge theories and constraints

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1

Science Advisor

I have a short question about gauge theories and constraints. Imagine I have a symmetry algebra, and I gauge it. With N generators in the algebra I get N gauge fields and N gauge curvatures. In realizing the algebra on the gauge fields I assume the gauge parameters are independent and don't act on each-other; in this way I can check that the commutators of the algebra are realized on the gauge fields.

Now I introduce a curvature constraint. My question is: is it guaranteed that the Jacobi identity still realized on the gauge field? Even if the constraint is not invariant under all gauge transformations?

Many thanks in forward! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    I don't know the answer to your question. But since you didn't get a lot of responses, perhaps you could check out the book by Henneaux and Teitelbohm if you have not already seen it. I think it contains a detailed account of constraints and gauge theories, although I wouldn't know if it contains the answer to your particular question. I think it is called something like "quantization of gauge systems".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook