Gauge theories and constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gauge theories and constraints in realizing a symmetry algebra on gauge fields. The question is whether the Jacobi identity is still realized on the gauge field when introducing a curvature constraint that may not be invariant under all gauge transformations. The person speaking is unable to provide an answer but suggests checking out a book by Henneaux and Teitelbohm for more information on constraints and gauge theories.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a short question about gauge theories and constraints. Imagine I have a symmetry algebra, and I gauge it. With N generators in the algebra I get N gauge fields and N gauge curvatures. In realizing the algebra on the gauge fields I assume the gauge parameters are independent and don't act on each-other; in this way I can check that the commutators of the algebra are realized on the gauge fields.

Now I introduce a curvature constraint. My question is: is it guaranteed that the Jacobi identity still realized on the gauge field? Even if the constraint is not invariant under all gauge transformations?

Many thanks in forward! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question. But since you didn't get a lot of responses, perhaps you could check out the book by Henneaux and Teitelbohm if you have not already seen it. I think it contains a detailed account of constraints and gauge theories, although I wouldn't know if it contains the answer to your particular question. I think it is called something like "quantization of gauge systems".

What are gauge theories?

Gauge theories are mathematical frameworks used to describe the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. They are based on the idea of local symmetries, where the laws of physics are unchanged under certain transformations at each point in space and time.

What are constraints in gauge theories?

Constraints in gauge theories are mathematical equations that arise from the requirement that the theory must be invariant under local symmetry transformations. They are used to eliminate unphysical degrees of freedom in the theory and ensure that only physically meaningful solutions are considered.

How do gauge theories explain the fundamental forces of nature?

Gauge theories explain the fundamental forces of nature by describing them as interactions between particles mediated by gauge bosons. For example, the electromagnetic force is described by quantum electrodynamics (QED) which is a gauge theory based on the local symmetry group of electromagnetism.

What is the role of gauge invariance in gauge theories?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in gauge theories, stating that the physical observables of the theory must be independent of the choice of gauge. This is necessary to ensure that the theory is consistent and does not produce unphysical results.

What is the difference between local and global symmetries in gauge theories?

Local symmetries, also known as gauge symmetries, are transformations that vary at each point in space and time. They are used in gauge theories to describe the interactions between particles. Global symmetries, on the other hand, are transformations that are the same at every point in space and time, and they are used to describe the conservation laws of the theory.