1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Gauss Law and the wrong Gaussian surface.

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem was to calculate the electric field inside an infinite length cylinder (with radius R) with a non uniform charge density. The charge density depended on r. Its easy enough to solve using a gaussian cylinder with r less than R. But what if I wanted to complicate things and use a gaussian sphere inside the cylinder with r < R?

2. Relevant equations

∫E[itex]\bullet[/itex]dA = q / ε° Gauss' Law

ρ = ρ°(1 - r/R) This is charge density distribution

q = ρ[itex]\bullet[/itex]dV

V= 4/3 π r^3

A= 4 π r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the electric field is not the same everywhere, it can't be removed from the first integral. It is however constant over dθ when r and d[itex]\Phi[/itex] are held constant.
    q =∫ ρ*dV = ∫ ρ°(1- r/R) * A* dr
    q = ∫ρ°(1-r/R) * 4 π r^2 * dr
    q is easy enough to solve. So the problem lies in ∫E*dA
    I had a few ideas about this, First one: convert the problem into spherical coordinates and solve it that way. Second one: The electric field is a vector quantity, so could I say the total electric field at a point r is equal to the sum of the partial derivatives of the electric field at that point? In that case, I would need to find an expression for dE/d[itex]\Phi[/itex]. Any guidance on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2
    As I understand r is the distance from axis, so you can not find the total enclosed charge inside a sphere by simply integrating ρ = ρ°(1 - r/R) you first need to convert r to spherical coordinates. After doing that you can try to solve equations for electric field but probably it will not be easy because taking a sphere as gaussian surface actually makes thing worse than finding electric field using Poisson's equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted