Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates, as well as technical issues with accessing certain websites. The participants also briefly mention the possibility of using a ping to bypass the firewall and express gratitude for a helpful reply.
Ken Gallock
Hi.
I was wondering what is the relationship between Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Typo or server down?
Works for me.

PAllen said:
Works for me.
Strange. Even the ping doesn't work.

fresh_42 said:
Strange. Even the ping doesn't work.
Works for me too. Firewalled/blacklisted where you are for some reason?

Ibix said:
Works for me too. Firewalled/blacklisted where you are for some reason?
I don't want to distract from the topic, but shouldn't a ping work beneath the firewall, apart from the fact that it is unlikely.

1. What are Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates?

Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates are two different coordinate systems used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a Riemannian manifold. They allow for a local description of the curvature at a given point on the manifold.

2. How are Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates related?

Gaussian normal coordinates can be viewed as a special case of Riemann normal coordinates, where the metric tensor at the chosen point is diagonal. In other words, Gaussian coordinates are a simplified version of Riemann coordinates, making them easier to work with in certain situations.

3. What is the advantage of using Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates?

The main advantage of using these coordinate systems is that they allow for a more intuitive understanding of the curvature of a Riemannian manifold at a specific point. This can be useful in various fields of mathematics and physics, such as general relativity and differential geometry.

4. How do you compute the metric tensor in Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates?

In Gaussian normal coordinates, the metric tensor can be computed by taking the Euclidean metric and adding small corrections based on the curvature of the manifold at the chosen point. In Riemann normal coordinates, the metric tensor is computed by taking the Euclidean metric and adding terms that depend on the first and second derivatives of the metric tensor at the chosen point.

5. When are Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates used?

Gaussian normal coordinates and Riemann normal coordinates are commonly used in the study of Riemannian manifolds, which have applications in various branches of mathematics and physics, including general relativity, differential geometry, and topology.