Gaussian Wave packet- Griffiths 2.22

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving integrating a function that looks like b f(a) + c f'(a). They are not sure how to do this and are looking for a help.
lazyluke

Homework Statement

Hi, The problems asks to calculate multiple things for a Gaussian wave packet. Steady state function: psi(x,0)=A*exp(-ax^2).My problem is that I'm stuck at calculating <p^2>.

Homework Equations

<p^2>=Int(|psi|^2*(-1*h^2*d^2/dx^2))dx or
<p^2>=Int(psi*(-1*h^2*d^2/dx^2(psi-conjugate)))dx ?
I am not sure if I can use the expression for |psi|^2- which is already defined and I think calculating the second expression will be wrong since it will give us an answer with i and t sine the exponent from complex conjugate of psi will come down or am i wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm doing something wrong since after i evaluate integrals I get:
<p^2>=4*(2/m)^(1/2)*w^6h^2*(4w^2*(pi/w^6)^(1/2)-2(1/2(pi/w^2)^(1/2)) where w=(a/(1+(2ihat/m)^2)^1/2 which cancels out to 0, somehow I should get ah^2. Now I'm not sure is I should use <p^2>=Int(|psi|^2*(-1*h^2*d^2/dx^2))dx where its a second derivative of |psi|^2 or <p^2>=Int(psi*(-1*h^2*d^2/dx^2(psi-conjugate)))dx where the second derivative is only of the complex conjugate and not the |psi|^2. Or I should not use the w just use the expression defined above? (I thought since w is independent of x it would not matter). Any help will do, just before Sunday evening as its due on Monday morning.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]<p^2>=|A|^2 \int \psi^*(-h^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \psi)dx [/tex]

Is the correct way to evaluate the expectation value.

As for the integral, I believe there is a very cleaver u-sub to (easily) solve this problem.

Sorry just came to me:
Can I use:
<p^2>=m^2*(d^2(<x>^2)/dx^2) or it doesn't work like that?
nvm...<x>=0 :(

Ok, I don't know any U-sub, it will help to know about it anyway- but i understand if you don't want to give me a straight answer to my problem- maybe after monday you can tell me how to do that the "easy way", now I am going through that mess and I am left with something like this:
(1/(1+ib)^(1/2))*(1/(1-ib)^(1/2)) where b=2hat/m and i is imaginary number, do those cancel? I cannot solve this and I tried to use one of those equation solvers on internet and won't do it neither... *the second expression suppose to be a complex conjugate of the first one... please help

Well [tex]\int_{\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax ^2} dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{a}} = f(a)[/tex] right?

What's f'(a)?

The function you're trying to integrate looks like:

[tex]-2 a h^2 \int_{\infty}^{\infty} -e^{-2 a x^2} + 2 a x^2 e^{-2 a x^2} dx[/tex]

Which looks sort of like b f(a) + c f'(a) if b and c are just constants, doesn't it?

well... yes... but i solved it using int(exp(-ax^2)dx=(pi/a)^(1/2) and int(x^2*exp(-ax^2)dx=1/2(pi/a^3)^(1/2) which i believe yields the same output... I kind of understand the logic here... thanks for the tip as this will be easier then memorizing the common integrals :]... the only problem now is that i have an answer looking like this:

<p^2>=h^2*a*(1/(1-2ihat/m)^(1/2))*(1/(1b2ihat/m)^(1/2)) and basically my question is:

(1/(1-ib)^(1/2)*(1/(1+ib)^(1/2))=1?

I know this is multiplying a complex number by its complex conjugate but does this case works since the complex number is under a square root? or maybe i defined wrong complex conjugate for this? the original expression is:

(1/(1-(2ihat/m))^1/2))) what is its complex conjugate? what does this reduce to? it seems like it should be 1 since the real part is 1/1 so 1^2=1 but how this works in this case with above expression? I hope you can understand which part I am having a problem with...

Last edited:

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a quantum particle. It represents a localized wave function that has a Gaussian shape, with a peak at a specific position and a spread determined by its uncertainty in momentum.

2. What is the significance of Griffiths 2.22 in relation to Gaussian wave packets?

Griffiths 2.22 is a reference to a specific equation in the textbook "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. This equation describes the time evolution of a Gaussian wave packet and is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics.

3. How is a Gaussian wave packet different from a regular wave function?

A Gaussian wave packet differs from a regular wave function in that it is a non-uniform distribution with a specific peak and spread, while a regular wave function has a uniform distribution. This allows for a more precise description of a particle's position and momentum in quantum mechanics.

4. What are the applications of Gaussian wave packets?

Gaussian wave packets have many applications in the field of quantum mechanics, including in the study of quantum tunneling, quantum entanglement, and the behavior of particles in potential wells. They are also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. How does the uncertainty principle apply to Gaussian wave packets?

The uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less we know about its momentum, applies to Gaussian wave packets. This is because the shape and spread of a Gaussian wave packet are determined by the uncertainty in both position and momentum of a quantum particle.