Gaussian Wavepacket Tunnel Through double barrier

In summary, the code for making a movie with a Gaussian wavepacket can be found on the programming subforum.
mehdikhann
Hello,
I was trying to design a movie in Matlab. A Gaussian wave packet moves toward double barrier then some wave reflect and some pass out from the barrier . i design the double barrier in Matlab. but don't know how to make movie in Matlab with Gaussian wavepacket. can you help. Do u have the code in Matlab

Physics news on Phys.org
mehdikhann said:
Hello,
I was trying to design a movie in Matlab. A Gaussian wave packet moves toward double barrier then some wave reflect and some pass out from the barrier . i design the double barrier in Matlab. but don't know how to make movie in Matlab with Gaussian wavepacket. can you help. Do u have the code in Matlab

There is a programming subforum down below.

Short answer: the plot command in a for loop. You plot your function (the gaussian wave packet) and then compute the new shape of the function every time through the for loop, and then plot it.

You can use the pause command (type help pause) to put time between your frame changes.

also check out 'help movie'. You can collect each of your plots as a movie frame and build a movie out of it, then once you have the movie array, you can adjust the frame-rate and the number of plays as you want.

Hej Pythoagorean,
Thankyou very much for reply. i use the movie frame and it work for some equation. but i was trying move to gaussian wave packet but don't know how implement on MATLAB mathematically . do u have code for Gaussian wave packet

Here's the general analytic structure:

http://musr.physics.ubc.ca/~jess/hr/skept/GWP/

Shooting from the hip, I'd use a runge-kutta algorithm to handle the integral, but you may want to see if there's some more experienced replies. I've never coded a gaussian wave packet before.

Last edited by a moderator:
A split-operator FFT metthod is usually more efficient than solving the integral directly for these kinds of problems.
You should be able to find a description of this method in just about any book on computational physics.

If I'm understanding these suggestions correctly, then what is being advised is to model the Gaussian wave packet as the superposition of its component frequencies. While this is certainly correct, it's probably overkill for the animation in question. I'm pretty sure you'll get almost the identical picture simply by calculating the reflection/transmission of a monochromatic beam and then just putting a Gaussian envelope over it.

1. What is a Gaussian wavepacket?

A Gaussian wavepacket is a type of wave that is described by a Gaussian function. It is a mathematical function that represents the probability amplitude of a particle in quantum mechanics.

2. What is a double barrier and how does it affect the Gaussian wavepacket?

A double barrier is a physical barrier that consists of two potential energy barriers that a particle must pass through. It affects the Gaussian wavepacket by causing the wave to tunnel through the barriers, which is a quantum mechanical phenomenon where a particle has a non-zero probability of passing through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome it classically.

3. How does the Gaussian wavepacket behave when it tunnels through a double barrier?

When a Gaussian wavepacket tunnels through a double barrier, it undergoes a process known as quantum tunneling. This means that the wavepacket has a non-zero probability of passing through the barriers, and as a result, its amplitude and shape can be altered by the barriers.

4. What factors affect the probability of a Gaussian wavepacket tunneling through a double barrier?

The probability of a Gaussian wavepacket tunneling through a double barrier is affected by several factors, including the height and width of the barriers, the energy of the wavepacket, and the shape and amplitude of the wavepacket.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gaussian wavepacket tunneling through double barriers?

Gaussian wavepacket tunneling through double barriers has many applications in various fields, including quantum computing, semiconductor devices, and tunneling microscopy. It is also used in the study of tunneling phenomena in nanoscale materials and can be applied to design more efficient and precise electronic devices.