Gay in the hard sciences? (no pun intended)

• Thread starter adrian87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of being a minority in a certain field, specifically being a gay physicist, chemist, or any other profession in the hard sciences. The original poster expressed feeling isolated and wanting to connect with others in the same situation. Some of the responses included personal experiences of being a minority in their respective fields, whether that be being a woman in a male-dominated field or being an agnostic/atheist in a religious workplace. The conversation also touched on the stereotype of gay individuals being more interested in the arts than the hard sciences. Overall, the discussion highlighted the challenges and isolation that can come with being a minority in a field.
My Yale alum magazine reports the Yale is considered to be "Gay Ivy," i.e., "most hospitable to gay students." (I would sometimes think there "Was that a homosexual or basher who just muttered 'gay'?")

Nevertheless, now I'm having a great time with my girlfriend and working for an "open" organization with a rainbow of personalities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
My Yale alum magazine reports the Yale is considered to be "Gay Ivy," i.e., "most hospitable to gay students." (I would sometimes think there "Was that a homosexual or basher who just muttered 'gay'?")

Nevertheless, now I'm having a great time with my girlfriend and working for an "open" organization with a rainbow of personalities.

I'm not sure how a university could win the contest of "most hospitable to gays". Do they give them a separate bathroom for hook-ups? ;)

I would think the only important thing when it comes to hospitality is the attitude of the people on campus. It's fine to have a lot of people who aren't comfortable with LGBT people, as long as they're accepting of them and aren't actively protesting their existence (or right to be left alone in general). I think that's the case here in Idaho - most people aren't hot on the idea of imagining gay sex of their gender, but they don't have a problem with knowing a friend or two of theirs is gay.