Gene expression during gastrulation

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for comparing gene expression during gastrulation in birds and frogs. The options mentioned include using microarray, in situ hybridization, and RT-PCR. However, these methods may not be suitable for comparing gene expression quantitatively between two different species unless a highly conserved gene is identified.
jones106
Hey guys, I've got a developmental question for yall. How would you experimentally compare gene expression during gastrulation in birds with that in frogs?
I've been racking my brain trying to think of this, and the only way I can think of is to use a microarray, since it allows you to look at so many different genes. However, I'm not sure if this is useful for comparing gene expression in two different animals. Can you use this method? Is there some sort of recombination/transplantation/knockout experiment you could use? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think in-situ hybridization is the way to go

If you're just looking for the time course of when genes get turned on, either approach would work. It depends on what your overall objectives are. If you're just trying to screen for many genes at once, microarray is good for that. If you have just one in mind, in situ hybridization will work, with the benefit of giving you information on where expression is occurring. RT-PCR could also be used to identify individual genes, but without the regional specificity of in situ hybridization.

None of these methods would work well to compare levels of expression quantitatively between two different species, because they all would require species-specific primers. However, if you had a gene of interest that was highly conserved between the two species, so that you could use the same primer, then you could use quantitative RT-PCR to compare the amount of gene expression.

What is gene expression during gastrulation?

Gene expression during gastrulation refers to the process by which genes are activated or turned on in specific cells to initiate the formation of the three primary germ layers (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm) in the developing embryo. This process is crucial for the proper development and differentiation of tissues and organs in the body.

How is gene expression regulated during gastrulation?

The regulation of gene expression during gastrulation is a complex process that involves a combination of genetic, epigenetic, and environmental factors. These factors work together to determine which genes are expressed in specific cells, when they are expressed, and at what levels. This regulation is important for ensuring the proper timing and coordination of cell differentiation and tissue formation during gastrulation.

What are the key genes involved in gastrulation?

Several key genes have been identified to play important roles in gastrulation. These include transcription factors such as NANOG, SOX2, and OCT4 which are involved in maintaining pluripotency of cells, as well as genes such as BMP4 and WNT3A which are involved in signaling pathways that control cell fate determination and tissue patterning during gastrulation.

What happens if gene expression is disrupted during gastrulation?

If gene expression is disrupted during gastrulation, it can lead to abnormalities in the formation of the three primary germ layers and subsequent developmental defects. This can result in a wide range of congenital malformations and disorders, such as cleft palate, heart defects, and neural tube defects.

How is gene expression during gastrulation studied?

There are various methods used to study gene expression during gastrulation, including genetic techniques such as gene knockout and transgenic animal models, as well as molecular and cellular approaches such as in situ hybridization and RNA sequencing. These methods allow scientists to investigate the expression patterns of specific genes and understand their roles in gastrulation and embryonic development.