General Form of Canonical Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general form of a canonical transformation of the form Q = f(q) + g(p) and P = c[f(q) + h(p)], where f, g, and h are differential functions and c is a non-zero constant. The equations {Q,Q}={P,P}=0 and {Q,P}=1 are also mentioned. The solution involves finding a function c.f'(q)[h'(p)-g'(p)] = 1 and using partial differentiation to narrow down the possibilities for f, g, and h. The conversation also mentions solving for the inverse of the canonical transformation and expressing q, p in terms of Q and P.
kolawoletech

Homework Statement

How do I go about finding the most general form of the canonical transformation of the form
Q = f(q) + g(p)
P = c[f(q) + h(p)]
where f,g and h are differential functions and c is a constant not equal to zero. Where (Q,P) and (q,p) represent the generalised cordinates and conjugate momentum in the new and old system

Homework Equations

{Q,Q}={P,P}=0 {Q,P}=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I arrived at a function

c.f'(q)[h'(p)-g'(p)]=1

I don't know how to get further to prove canonicity

Physics news on Phys.org
kolawoletech said:
c.f'(q)[h'(p)-g'(p)]=1
There are two independent variables in this equation: p and q, and we require it to hold for all values of p and q. That should enable us to radically narrow down the possibilities for functions f, g and h.

Try partial differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to q to get one equation and then wrt p to get another.
What do those two equations tell you about the functions f and (h-g)?

I did that and got to "see the attachment"
But I am not so sure if I did it right
The rest of the question see solve the inverse of the canonical transformation: express q, p in terms of Q and P. The actual question is attached see attachment(it is the second question)

Attachments

• IMG-20160412-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20160412-WA0001.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 504
  • HjIkBnu9.jpg
    HjIkBnu9.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 428
I'm sorry but that photo is way too hard to read. Try typing it in using latex. This post is a primer to get you started. If you're studying physics then any time spent learning latex is a very good investment.

1. What is the purpose of a General Form of Canonical Transformations?

The purpose of a General Form of Canonical Transformations is to simplify complex mathematical systems by transforming them into more manageable forms. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the system's behavior.

2. How is a General Form of Canonical Transformations different from other transformations?

A General Form of Canonical Transformations is a specific type of transformation that preserves the fundamental properties of a system, such as its symmetries and conserved quantities. This is in contrast to other transformations that may alter or change these properties.

3. What are the key elements of a General Form of Canonical Transformations?

The key elements of a General Form of Canonical Transformations include a set of canonical coordinates, a Hamiltonian function, and a set of canonical equations that describe the evolution of the system over time.

4. How is a General Form of Canonical Transformations used in physics?

A General Form of Canonical Transformations is used in physics to simplify the mathematical description of physical systems, making it easier to solve equations and analyze the behavior of the system. It is commonly used in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics.

5. What are some common examples of General Form of Canonical Transformations?

Some common examples of General Form of Canonical Transformations include the transformation from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, the transformation between position and momentum coordinates, and the transformation between different forms of the Hamiltonian. These transformations are commonly used in many areas of physics to simplify and analyze complex systems.