1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Form of Canonical Transformations

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I go about finding the most general form of the canonical transformation of the form
    Q = f(q) + g(p)
    P = c[f(q) + h(p)]
    where f,g and h are differential functions and c is a constant not equal to zero. Where (Q,P) and (q,p) represent the generalised cordinates and conjugate momentum in the new and old system

2. Relevant equations
    {Q,Q}={P,P}=0 {Q,P}=1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I arrived at a function

c.f'(q)[h'(p)-g'(p)]=1

I don't know how to get further to prove canonicity

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are two independent variables in this equation: p and q, and we require it to hold for all values of p and q. That should enable us to radically narrow down the possibilities for functions f, g and h.

Try partial differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to q to get one equation and then wrt p to get another.
    What do those two equations tell you about the functions f and (h-g)?

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    I did that and got to "see the attachment"
    But I am not so sure if I did it right
    The rest of the question see solve the inverse of the canonical transformation: express q, p in terms of Q and P. The actual question is attached see attachment(it is the second question)

Attached Files:

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sorry but that photo is way too hard to read. Try typing it in using latex. This post is a primer to get you started. If you're studying physics then any time spent learning latex is a very good investment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted