1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables

1. Feb 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a charge ##q##, with mass ##m##, moving in the ##x-y## plane under the influence of a uniform magnetic field ##\vec{B}=B\hat{z}##. Show that the Hamiltonian $$ H = \frac{(\vec{p}-q\vec{A})^2}{2m}$$ with $$\vec{A} = \frac{1}{2}(\vec{B}\times\vec{r})$$ reduces to $$ H(x,y,p_x,p_y) = \frac{(p_x+\frac{1}{2}qBy)^2}{2m} + \frac{(p_y-\frac{1}{2}qBx)^2}{2m}$$
    Demonstrate
    $$ Q = \frac{(p_x+\frac{1}{2}qBy)}{qB} \qquad \qquad P = (p_y-\frac{1}{2}qBx) $$
    are conjugate dynamic variables, given ##x, p_x, y, p_y## are, then express $$H(Q,P)$$ in terms of ##m## and the cyclotron frequency, ##\omega \frac{qB}{m}##

Show next that
    $$ P' = \frac{(p_x-\frac{1}{2}qBy)}{qB} \qquad \qquad Q' = (p_y+\frac{1}{2}qBx) $$
    Are yet another, linearly-independent, conjugate pair whose brackets with ##Q,P## necessarily vanish, i.e.
    $$ [Q,Q'] = [Q,P'] = [P,Q'] = [P,P'] = 0 $$
    Argue from the foregoing that ##Q',P'## must be constants of the motion
    2. Relevant equations
    Most are listed in problem statement. Definition of poisson bracket (PB): $$ [Q,P] = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p} - \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p}\frac{\partial P}{\partial q} $$
    Fundamental PBs: ## [q_i,q_k] = [p_i,p_k] = 0, \ \ [q_i,p_k] = \delta_{ik}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main question is, how exactly do I show that ##Q,P## are conjugate dynamical variables? Is this just by evaluating the PBs ##[Q_i, Q_k], [P_i, P_k], \text{ and } [Q_i,P_k]## and proving they preserve the fundamental PBs? So far, I have found
    $$ [Q_i, Q_k]_{q,p} = 0 $$
    And
    $$ [P_i,P_k]_{q,p} = 0$$
    But for ##[Q_i,P_k]_{q,p}## I find
    $$ [Q_i,P_k]_{q,p} = \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}qB \neq 1 (or \neq \delta_{ik})$$
    So is this not what I need to be doing or am I just evaluating it wrong?

And as for expressing the Hamiltonian as functions of ##Q## and ##P##, what do I need to do? My prof kind of worked out finding ##H(q(Q,P), p(Q,P))## for a harmonic oscillator by seeking a transformation of the form ##H(q(Q,P),p(Q,P)) = \frac{f^2(P)}{2m}##, but I'm having trouble figureing out how to do it in the reverse, like ##H(Q(q,p), P(q,p))## for this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2017 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not clear why, given the problem statement, you are using subscripts on the proposed conjugate variables of P and Q. There are just the two as I read the problem.
    I get the correct Poisson bracket relations on [Q,P] so check your work.

4. Feb 13, 2017 #3
    I was just using the indecies as good practice so i remember to use all indecies of Q or P later if they need it. But for [Q,P] I find
    $$[Q,P] = \bigg[\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p_x} - \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_x}\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}\bigg] + \bigg[ \frac{\partial Q}{\partial y}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p_y} - \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_y}\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\bigg]$$
    Where ##\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial p_x} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_y} = 0## which make the PB
    $$[Q,P] = -\frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_x}\frac{\partial P}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial Q}{\partial y}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p_y} = -(\frac{1}{qB})(-\frac{1}{2}qB) + (\frac{1}{2}qB)(1) = \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}qB$$ so where am I going wrong?

5. Feb 13, 2017 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex] \partial Q / \partial y = \tfrac{1}{2}[/itex] , [itex] \partial P/\partial p_y = 1[/itex] So total bracket is [itex]\tfrac{1}{2} + \tfrac{1}{2} = 1[/itex] . Or did I mess up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted