1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Formula For Reflection Direction

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    An Example Scenario:

A particle moves at 32° and collides with a wall. This wall is rectangular in nature, which means that there is both horizontal and vertical sides.

On a horizontal tangent, it would work like this (sorry for ugly, not-to-scale diagrams):

[PLAIN]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7808/questionsc.jpg [Broken]
    (reflects at 148°)

However, on a vertical tangent it would reflect like this:

[PLAIN]http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/2064/question2.png [Broken]
    (reflects at 328°)

This means that:
    • On horizontal tangent: reflectionDirection = 180-incidenceDirection
    • On vertical tangent: reflectionDirection = 360-incidenceDirection

It's lame to have two different formulas, so is there a general formula for the reflectionDirection that works with both vertical and horizontal tangents? It's fine if it uses radians instead of degrees.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2
    If the incoming angle is A, and B is an angle normal to the wall, then the reflected angle C is given by C = B - A.
  4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Thanks, but that was not what I was looking for.

In case someone else needs to know, the general formula is:

C = 180+2B-A

Where A is the direction of incidence, B is the direction of tangent (0 if horizontal, 90 if vertical) and C is the direction of reflection.
  5. Sep 6, 2010 #4
    Well the normal and tangent angles are 90 degrees different, so it all works.

Also, I meant C = 2B - A in my last post, sorry.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. Sep 9, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot for this conversation. I was searching for this..........
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook