1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General method of parameterization

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    is there a general formula/algorithm to parameterize an equation?

for example if i have a function
    f(x,y)=0
    then can i always change it to the form x(t),y(t)?

or if i had g(x,y,z)=0

then can i change it to something like x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v)

i know of examples, like if i have x^2+y^2=1 then i know its cos(t),sin(t) but theres alot of other functions out there.

I guess what im asking, is if there is always a parameterization in terms of elementary functions, and if not, what kinds of numeric algorithms are available?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This depends on the properties of the function. The general answer is no.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    so is there an algorithm i could use in computer programming that takes f(x,y)=0 for example and returns an ordered set of points?

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is again going to depend on your function. Perhaps the only functions you will encounter are nice enough. A computer code will never give you the full set of points simply because of memory limitations. You might want a finite set of points that give you a reasonable approximation? The contour plotting function of softwares like matlab or mathematica should be able to do that for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook