Calculating the perfect tennis shot using vectors

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of effective communication in a team setting. The speakers emphasized the need for clear and concise communication, active listening, and the ability to adapt to different communication styles. They also highlighted the role of open and honest communication in building trust and resolving conflicts within a team. Overall, the conversation emphasized the crucial role of communication in fostering a successful and cohesive team dynamic.
themethetion
TL;DR Summary
I have developed a function that represents the perfect shot in terms of x & y where x is the court's length and y is the height. And then x & z where x is the court's length and z is the court's width. I then calculated the angle and velocity of the shot of x with respect to both y and x. I planned to combine the magnitude and angle for x & y with the magnitude and angle for x & z into one vector equation.
This is where I ran into some problems. Can you simply combine two vector equations?
Context: I must develop a vector that models the path of a tennis ball using vectors without physics formulas

I have developed a function that represents the perfect shot in tennis in terms of x & y where x is the court's length and y is the height. And then x & z where x is the court's length and z is the court's width. To do this I calculated the angle and velocity of the shot of x with respect to y and then x with respect to z.

I planned to combine the magnitude and angle for x & y with the magnitude and angle for x & z into one vector equation. I now believe this won't work and am stuck on how to even create a 3d projectile motion vector while making it somewhat practical in the real life after developing a solution to help a tennis player.

I calculated the angle of projection and velocity of x & y by integrating them from acceleration with ax = 0m/s and ay= -9.8m/s to displacement
With the function, I ended up with I created the following vector equation. r_t = (xcos(θ)t)i + (-4.9t^2+xsin(θ)t)j where x is the velocity and theta is the angle of projection
I then let R_x= x cos(θ)t and R_y= -4.9t^2 + xsin(θ)t
R_x was then let equal to the maximum x value the ball can travel through
This was rearranged for t and subbed into R_y
R_y was then let equal to the corresponding y value.
The same process was followed to develop another equation. These equations were plotted into Desmos and the intersect was determined as (16.35, 0.515) therefore it was believed the ball must have a velocity of 16.35m/s and a projection of 0.515 radians to go through said points in the xy plane.
The same process was followed for x & z. where acceleration was integrated to find displacement from ax = 0m/s and az=9m/s (the average velocity of wind for complexity). But the end functions gave no real results where points, were used in the path the ball, must travel. Which made me question my original method.
When calculating for x & z should the velocity and/or the angle of projection of R_x= x cos(θ)t be that found when solving for x & y. hence should the equation be
R_x= 16.35 cos(θ)t
t= r_x/(16.35cos(θ))
R_y= -4.9(r_x/(16.35cos(θ))^2 + xsin(θ)(r_x/(16.35cos(θ))
or
t= r_x/(xcos(θ))
R_y = -4.9(r_x/(xcos(θ))^2 + xsin(θ)(r_x/(xcos(θ))

Please consider:
Values have been modified.
The ball must travel above 4mX at 4.5mZ ( the opposition), and the ball must land on the baseline 25mY on the furthest right-hand side of the court at 9mZ. These points are all with respect to the player, at the origin.
Please mention any misconceptions I have and how I should modify my methodology. P.s typed this out twice as it deleted itself, sorry for any lack of explanation feel free to ask, will reply asap. Keeping generalised as it is for assessment.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello @themethetion ,
:welcome: ##\qquad##!​

Is this a continuation of your first thread ? In that case I (and the folks that sincerely tried to help you) would really appreciate at least some reaction. Otherwise you get more of the same stuff that may well be way over your head.

themethetion said:
without physics formulas
I do wonder why you think you can make do without physics ... 🤔

But even math formulas are a lot more legible when typeset properly; I propose you invest the time to learn some ##\LaTeX##. well worth it !

##\ ##

Likes themethetion
BvU said:
Is this a continuation of your first thread ?
@themethetion -- Please keep the discussion of this schoolwork question in that original thread in the schoolwork forums. This thread is closed.

Likes BvU

1. How do vectors play a role in calculating the perfect tennis shot?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In tennis, vectors are used to represent the force and direction of a player's swing, as well as the direction and speed of the ball. By using vectors, we can calculate the perfect shot by determining the optimal angle and strength of the swing to achieve the desired trajectory and speed of the ball.

2. What factors are considered when calculating the perfect tennis shot?

When calculating the perfect tennis shot using vectors, we take into account the player's position, the angle and speed of their swing, the position of the ball, and the desired trajectory and speed of the ball. We also consider external factors such as wind and court conditions.

3. How is the velocity of the ball determined using vectors?

The velocity of the ball can be determined using vectors by calculating the change in position over time. This is known as the ball's displacement vector. By knowing the displacement vector and the time it takes for the ball to travel, we can calculate the velocity vector, which represents the speed and direction of the ball.

4. Can vectors be used to improve a player's shot accuracy?

Yes, vectors can be used to improve a player's shot accuracy. By analyzing the direction and speed of their swing, as well as the position of the ball, we can determine the optimal angle and strength of the swing to achieve the desired trajectory and speed of the ball. This can help players make more accurate shots.

5. Are there any limitations to using vectors in calculating the perfect tennis shot?

While vectors are a useful tool in calculating the perfect tennis shot, there are some limitations. Vectors do not take into account factors such as the spin of the ball, which can greatly affect its trajectory. Additionally, the calculations may not be as accurate in real-time situations, where players must make split-second decisions and adjust their shots accordingly.