1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General normalized state for a state vector

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    A particle is in a state for which the probabilities are [tex]P(L_{z} = 1) = \frac{1}{4}, P(L_{z} = 0) = \frac{1}{2}, and P(L_{z} = -1) = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]. Show that the most general normalized state with this property is:
    [tex]|\phi> = \frac{e^{i \delta_{1}}}{2}|L_{z} = 1> + \frac{e^{i \delta_{2}}}{2^{\frac{1}{2}}}|L_{z} = 0> + \frac{e^{i \delta_{3}}}{2}|L_{z} = -1>.[/tex]

i know to calculate [tex]P(L_{z} = 1)[/tex] it is done by [tex] |< L_{z} = 1 |\phi> |^2 [/tex] and assuming i'm in an orthonormal eigenbasis i get that [tex] < L_{z} = 1 |\phi> = \frac{e^{i \delta_{1}}}{2} [/tex] and when its squared i get [tex] \frac{e^{2i \delta_{1}}}{2} [/tex] which should equal to [tex] \frac{1}{2} [/tex] and this is the part i am having trouble with. how do i show that [tex] e^{2i \delta_{1}} = 1 [/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To compute the probability, you don't just compute the square of the amplitude. You compute the modulus of the complex number (which is always real) and then square that.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    can't believe i forgot about something as simple as that. thanks for the answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook