General question about directions of v.

• Thread starter theel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: Buttons and springs are another example: they can have the same positive and negative charges, but you can also have a button with no charge and a spring with a positive charge. So there's no real directional meaning to "up" and "down."Basically, if you have an object with mass and it is in motion, then its velocity is going to be somewhere in between the two values (positive and negative). Buttons and springs are good examples because they have zero mass, so their velocity is purely gravitational.
theel
I chose not to use the template because this is not a specific homework question. However, it is a problem I face often in my homework problems:

How do I determine the direction of velocity? For example, if I have an object fall from rest at a height, is its final velocity a positive or negative value? Likewise, if I throw an object in the air, is its final velocity when it hits the ground positive or negative?

Basically, I want to know what is the general rule of thumb for determining the direction of v?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
theel said:
I chose not to use the template because this is not a specific homework question. However, it is a problem I face often in my homework problems:

How do I determine the direction of velocity? For example, if I have an object fall from rest at a height, is its final velocity a positive or negative value? Likewise, if I throw an object in the air, is its final velocity when it hits the ground positive or negative?

Basically, I want to know what is the general rule of thumb for determining the direction of v?

Thanks.

The general rule of thumb is down is negative (usually y-axis). And up is positive.
So velocity as a rock hits the ground is usually negative.

But you can set up your own cooridinate system as long as you hold to it. Later on, you might get some problems where it is easier to do so. Get used to seeing situations where you make up the most reasonable frames of reference to solve certain problems if you continue in Physics.

theel said:

Thanks.

Positives and negatives are a human invention. If you want a falling rock's velocity to be negative, then it's negative. If you want it to be positive, then it's positive. It's the same way with charges: why should a proton be positive? No reason; somebody arbitrarily chose it to be positive.

1. What is the meaning of "directions of v"?

"Directions of v" refers to the different angles or orientations that an object or vector can have in relation to a reference point or coordinate system. It is used to describe the movement or position of an object in space.

2. How many directions of v are there?

There can be an infinite number of directions of v, as it depends on the reference point or coordinate system. However, in a 3-dimensional space, there are typically 3 directions of v: forward/backward, left/right, and up/down.

3. How are directions of v represented?

In mathematics and physics, directions of v are often represented using vectors. Vectors have a magnitude (length) and direction, and can be graphically represented as arrows. The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of v.

4. Can directions of v change?

Yes, directions of v can change depending on the movement or orientation of an object. For example, a car can have different directions of v while driving straight, turning left, or reversing.

5. Why are directions of v important?

Directions of v are important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They allow us to accurately describe and predict the motion and position of objects in space, which is crucial for understanding and manipulating our physical world.