1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other General Question About Self-Teaching

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    So I'd like to say sorry if this has been posted before, or I'm placing it in the wrong area...

After taking several months off (which I probably shouldn't have done) I am going to start self teaching myself, some subjects will be easy, but what I'm wondering is how can I properly test myself to see if I'm actually learning???

I'll be teaching myself chemistry, physics, and reteaching myself college level algebra, calculus and other math and science related topic's.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If you can do the majority of the problems in the books you're studying from without having to constantly look up how to do them, you're probably doing okay.

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When self studying any subjects for academic or professional purposes always try to avoid working in total isolation .

Find some people to talk to .

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You never explain the reason for this self-teaching. Are you doing this just to learn these subjects, or are you hoping to go into a professional or educational position with such knowledge?

Zz.

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6
    Yes, or, even better, do sets of questions done without any reference at all to the textbook at all. i.e. a test

-Dave K

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7
    It's a combination of wanting to learn them and professional I'm about to start a DIY in business and I'd like to supplement it to the best of my ability with subject's that I like.

[Post edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  9. Jan 31, 2017 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This reply has a dubious distinction of turning it into a more puzzling situation than before. What exactly does it mean?

Zz.

10. Jan 31, 2017 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted