1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Questions About sizing Structural Beams.

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    General Questions About "sizing" Structural Beams.

Hello Guys. I would like to know where I can find high quality info on which types of beams to use for certain applications. Say, for example, a 100 foot span which is supposed to hold 100 tons at the center, or cantilever, and so on. I know there are many factors, such as material strength, "height" of beam, thickness of material, and weight of material, and the like, but I cannot figure out a mathematical relationship even for simple shapes, for I am no savant. For example, is there a way to mathematically deduce how much "torque", or "weight" a ten foot 10"x10" solid square cantilever of 50 KSI steel can handle before permanently deforming?
    I am assuming these things have been figured out experimentally. Ultimately, I am asking you guys for guidance in terms of recommended sources (internet, and books) for such information, and formulas.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

4. Dec 24, 2009 #3
    Re: General Questions About "sizing" Structural Beams.

Thank you, that looks like what I was after.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook