General questions on Rudin's Baby book

In summary, this book is considered very difficult, but it can be helpful for people who want to start research in mathematics.
issacnewton
Hi

I just have some question about the Walter Rudin's Baby book, aka, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". This is considered very difficult book, especially the problems. So if somebody has solved all the problems from this book, does studying other branches of mathematics become easier for such a person.
Since analysis is considered the starting point of research mathematics, I would assume that this is the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

I just have some question about the Walter Rudin's Baby book, aka, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis". This is considered very difficult book, especially the problems. So if somebody has solved all the problems from this book, does studying other branches of mathematics become easier for such a person.
Since analysis is considered the starting point of research mathematics, I would assume that this is the case.

My recommendation is to go to Amazon's web page for that book, and read the review by Bolzano Bourbaki entitled, Book should be called "Tada! You're a mathematician!", written October 26, 2005. Too bad more math book reviews aren't written like that one. Anyway, I think that review answers your question in quite a vigorous manner.

IssacNewton said:
Hi

I think Rudin's book is easier than Maxwell Rosenlicht Analysis book. In fact, I bought this book just to go through since the other analysis books I have are a lot harder.

If you use some other analysis book, you may come to love this one. The explanations are very nice. Whereas with others, you read trivial when you have no idea what they did.

thanks...on some other forum, somebody suggested koerner's "A Companion to Analysis" as a prerequisite if people struggle with baby book... :)

However, it also depends on the individual's ability to apply the concepts learned in Rudin's book to other areas of mathematics. Studying other branches of mathematics requires a broad understanding of various concepts and techniques, not just a mastery of one particular book. So while solving all the problems in Rudin's book may give a strong foundation in analysis, it is not a guarantee that studying other branches of mathematics will become easier. It is important for individuals to continuously challenge themselves and explore new concepts in order to become well-rounded mathematicians.

1. What is Rudin's Baby book?

Rudin's Baby book is a popular introductory textbook on mathematical analysis, written by Walter Rudin. It covers topics such as real and complex numbers, sequences and series, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. Is Rudin's Baby book suitable for beginners?

While Rudin's Baby book is often recommended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students, it is not an easy read for beginners. It assumes a solid background in calculus and some exposure to basic concepts in analysis.

3. What sets Rudin's Baby book apart from other textbooks on mathematical analysis?

Rudin's Baby book is known for its concise and rigorous approach to the subject. It presents the material in a clear and logical manner, with a focus on the most important concepts and results. It also includes many challenging exercises to help readers deepen their understanding of the material.

4. Can Rudin's Baby book be used for self-study?

Yes, Rudin's Baby book can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and some previous exposure to analysis. It is also helpful to work through the exercises and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Is Rudin's Baby book applicable to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the concepts and techniques covered in Rudin's Baby book are fundamental to many areas of mathematics, including real and complex analysis, functional analysis, and differential equations. It is also relevant to fields such as physics and engineering.