1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure R^k and midpoints of vectors (rudin's PMA chapter 1 problem 16)

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    First this is NOT a homework problem. I am undertaking a self-study of mathematical analysis by following Rudin's Principles of Mathematical analysis. I have done a course in analysis before but this is a high-powered review of sorts.

So I'm currently on the first chapter's problem set and I've gotten stuck on problem 16, which asks:

Let x,y in R^k, k>/=3 (at least 3-space), norm[x-y] = d>0 prove:

a)If 2r>d There are infinitely many z in R^k s.t. norm[z-y]=norm[z-x]=r
    b)If 2r=d there is exactly one such z.
    c)If 2r<d there are no such z.

That is the question as stated, to clarify the norm I speak of is the tradition euclidean k-space norm (i.e. root of sum of squares of components).

Part a) is the one I've made the least progress on, b) I'm half done and c) is a simple proof by contradiction using the triangle inequality.

Geometrically (for part a)) consider the line between x and y, there is a perpindicular plane at the midpoint (x+y)/2 (perpendicular to the line connecting x and y) and the set of infinite z that a) asks for is the circle of radius (r^2 - (d/2)^2)^(1/2) which is nonzero b/c of the hypothesis lying on the tangent plane centered at the midpoint (x+y)/2. The thing is, I presume rudin wants me to construct a general z that admits infinitely vectors, but I've found this very difficult to do using the definitions and theorems given in the chapter. Any ideas?

Part b) the only such z is x+y=2 but I can't for the life of me prove that it is the ONLY solution with rigour.

Help would be much appreciated.

Siddharth M.

PS: obviously the problem I'm having is providing a clean and neat proof strictly using definitions and theorems as is required of an analyst but such a solution has thus far escaped me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2010 #2
    $|x-z|+|z-y| =2r \Rightarrow |x-y| \leq 2r \forall z$ by the triangle equality, the rest pretty much falls in your lap.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?