General Rel, deflected light around sun.

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an approximation for deflected light around a mass body. It is mentioned that the calculation gives a value in units of m2s-2, but the confusion arises when trying to convert this to arcseconds per century. It is concluded that the missing factor of 1/c2 is the cause of this issue and the final value will be in radians.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

See Attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I will not bother writing the derivation from my notes but ultimately it turns out an approximation of deflected light around a mass body is [tex]2\delta\phi=4GM/R[/tex] where R is distance of closest approach and M is mass of body.

Now what I am confused about is that calculating this deflection angle will give me a value with units of m2s-2, sooooo I should be getting a value with units arcseconds per century, how exactly does this work? Confused the heck out of me. .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Lengalicious said:
So basically I will not bother writing the derivation from my notes but ultimately it turns out an approximation of deflected light around a mass body is [tex]2\delta\phi=4GM/R[/tex] where R is distance of closest approach and M is mass of body.

Hello, Lengalicious.

You have left something out of the equation. Maybe in your notes you were using units where the speed of light is 1, but here you will want to use standard SI or cgs units.

TSny said:
Hello, Lengalicious.

You have left something out of the equation. Maybe in your notes your were using units where the speed of light is 1, but here you will want to use standard SI or cgs units.

I guess that's the only logical explanation, but if there was a missing factor of 1/c then I would still end up with ms-1 which just would not be convertible to arcseconds per century still. The deflection angle comes from the solution to a differential equation formed by conservation of energy for a particle in a gravitational potential with an extra general relativistic term. None of these terms contain a factor of c unless the general relativistic term does contain a hidden factor c=1 that my professor did not bother to specify for some reason.

If you are using units where c = 1, then also cn = 1 for any power.

I'm sure you can find the formula in SI units by doing a quick web search.

TSny said:
If you are using units where c = 1, then also cn = 1 for any power.

I'm sure you can find the formula in SI units by doing a quick web search.

Yeh tried earlier with no success but after a quick research managed to find it, turns out its missing a factor of 1/c2 like you say, in any case will the value be in radians now?

Thanks for the heads up btw.

Good. Yes, radians!

Likes 1 person

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein, which describes how massive objects in the universe interact with each other. It is based on the idea that gravity is not a force, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does General Relativity explain deflected light around the sun?

According to General Relativity, the sun's mass causes a curvature in space-time around it. When light travels near the sun, it follows this curvature and appears to be deflected from its original path. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing.

3. How was General Relativity tested and confirmed?

One of the first tests of General Relativity was the observation of the deflection of starlight during a solar eclipse in 1919. This confirmed Einstein's predictions and provided evidence for the theory. Since then, many other experiments and observations have been conducted, all of which have supported the validity of General Relativity.

4. Can General Relativity be applied to objects other than the sun?

Yes, General Relativity can be applied to any massive object in the universe. It has been used to explain the motion of planets, the behavior of black holes, and the expansion of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of General Relativity?

Yes, General Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on accurate time measurements that are affected by the curvature of space-time. It is also used in cosmology to study the evolution and structure of the universe.