Gravitational Bending of Light: Equation for Photon Trajectory in Strong Fields

In summary, the conversation is about finding an expression for the deflection of light in a static gravitational field, specifically in the context of a single point mass. The equation 7.80 for the "transverse gradient" in Sean Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry" is referenced, along with the deflection angle equation. The goal is to plot photon paths in strong fields, using mass, radial distance, and angle of photon trajectory. However, the current equations are only valid for weak fields and do not take into account the singularity at r=Rs. The conversation then delves into the use of different coordinates and the difficulties of finding a solution for trajectories below the horizon. Ultimately, the question is posed whether the Krusk
kevindin
I'm looking for an expression for the deflection of light in a static gravitational field.
Referring to 'deflection of star light past the sun' in Sean Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry" - equation 7.80 for the "transverse gradient":

[itex]
\nabla\perp\phi = \frac{GM}{(b^2 + x^2)^{3/2}}\vec b
[/itex]

Deflection angle is

[itex]
\alpha = {2GMb} \int {\frac{dx}{(b^2 + x^2)^{3/2}}}
= \frac{4GM}{b}
[/itex]

As far as I understand it, this is only valid for weak fields/small deflection. I'd like to plot photon paths in strong fields (with just a single point mass, not distributed), so I'm looking for the instantaneous deflection, which I'll plot/integrate numerically, based on mass, radial distance from mass, and angle of photon trajectory. It should not use the Schwarzschild metric, because I don't want the singularity at r=Rs and it only needs to be in 2 dimensions, because of spherical symmetry. So, is there an expression for the polar coordinates r2, θ2 and trajectory a2, for a photon traveling from p1 to p2, using M, r1, θ1, a1, L?
I've attached a diagram which I hope illustrates it:
lightbend2.png

Many thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kevindin said:
As far as I understand it, this is only valid for weak fields/small deflection.

It also only tells you the deflection angle "at infinity"--i.e. the total change in direction of the photon over the whole process of flying in, passing the gravitating body, then flying out again. It doesn't tell you anything about the path at finite distances from the gravitating body.

kevindin said:
It should not use the Schwarzschild metric, because I don't want the singularity at r=Rs

What you mean is that you don't want to use Schwarzschild coordinates; in other coordinates (e.g., Painleve or Eddington-Finkelstein), there is no coordinate singularity at the horizon. But the geometry is the same. However, the thread @Ibix linked to uses Schwarzschild coordinates, so it only works outside the horizon.

PeterDonis said:
However, the thread @Ibix linked to uses Schwarzschild coordinates, so it only works outside the horizon.
It should be just a matter of transforming the coordinates to get a revised set of differential equations in terms of more useful coordinates, I think.

Ibix said:
It should be just a matter of transforming the coordinates to get a revised set of differential equations in terms of more useful coordinates, I think.
That's what I'm not confident of - my maths is a bit rusty. Someone must have done this already.

Ibix said:

Actually, that by itself won't work, if you want to cover the region below the horizon. The problem is that, below the horizon, there is no timelike Killing vector field, so the whole mechanism used to derive the equations in that previous thread doesn't work, since it depends on energy at infinity being a constant of geodesic motion, and that's only true if there is a timelike Killing vector field. (The spacelike KVFs that make angular momentum a constant of the motion are still present below the horizon, though, so, counterintuitively, angular momentum is still well defined in that region even though energy at infinity is not.)

So a different method of solution is required for trajectories below the horizon. I have not seen one in the literature I have read, except for the special case of radial geodesics, which obviously won't cover the cases the OP is interested in.

Likes Ibix
Is it possible to use the Kruskal-Szekeres metric? My gut feeling is yes, but I'm not sure of how to transform it into the expression I'm looking for.
Thanks

You aren't changing metric, you're changing coordinates. You can use any coordinates you like but, as Peter says (and I should have realized), you have to go back to the geodesic equations. You can't adapt my approach because it relies on an assumption that isn't valid below the horizon. You can still use that L is a constant, but that may not be a lot of help.

PeterDonis said:
Actually, that by itself won't work, if you want to cover the region below the horizon. The problem is that, below the horizon, there is no timelike Killing vector field, so the whole mechanism used to derive the equations in that previous thread doesn't work, since it depends on energy at infinity being a constant of geodesic motion, and that's only true if there is a timelike Killing vector field. (The spacelike KVFs that make angular momentum a constant of the motion are still present below the horizon, though, so, counterintuitively, angular momentum is still well defined in that region even though energy at infinity is not.)

So a different method of solution is required for trajectories below the horizon. I have not seen one in the literature I have read, except for the special case of radial geodesics, which obviously won't cover the cases the OP is interested in.

I think the equations will work, it's just that their interpretation changes. There is still a Killing vector field below the horizon, but it changes nature from time-like to space-like. I don't think this makes any difference to the mathematical equations of motion, the inner product of the tangent vector of the geodesic and the Killing vector field still remains constant along the geodesic. The physical interpretation of the significance of this becomes unclear, the conserved quantity is no longer an energy below the event horizon.

pervect said:
There is still a Killing vector field below the horizon, but it changes nature from time-like to space-like. I don't think this makes any difference to the mathematical equations of motion, the inner product of the tangent vector of the geodesic and the Killing vector field still remains constant along the geodesic.

Hm, yes, good point.

1. How is the gravitational bending of light calculated in strong fields?

In strong gravitational fields, the trajectory of a photon is calculated using the Einstein Field Equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime caused by a massive object. This equation takes into account the mass and distance of the object, as well as the speed of light.

2. What is the equation for the trajectory of a photon in strong gravitational fields?

The equation for the trajectory of a photon in strong gravitational fields is known as the geodesic equation, which is derived from the Einstein Field Equations. It takes into account the mass and distance of the object, as well as the speed of light.

3. How does the gravitational bending of light impact our perception of distant objects?

The gravitational bending of light can cause objects that are behind a massive object to appear distorted or even invisible to us. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing and has been observed in various astronomical observations.

4. Can the gravitational bending of light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the gravitational bending of light can be observed in everyday life. For example, during a solar eclipse, the sun's gravitational field can bend the light from distant stars, causing them to appear closer to the sun. This phenomenon was one of the first pieces of evidence for Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the gravitational bending of light?

Studying the gravitational bending of light has practical applications in various fields, such as astronomy and astrophysics. It also has implications for technologies such as gravitational wave detectors, which use the bending of light to detect the ripples in spacetime caused by massive objects.