1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity - Index Notation

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find matrix element ##M_{ij}##
    (b) Show that ##x^j## is an eigenvector of ##M_{ij}##
    (c) Show any vector orthogonal to ##x^j## is also an eigenvector of ##M_{ij}##

4tufjc.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part(a)

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \Phi}{\partial x^i x^j} = -\frac{2GM_i}{(x^i)^3} \delta_{ij} [/tex]

Part(b)

[tex] M_{ij}x_j = \frac{-2GM_i}{(x^i)^2} [/tex]

How do I show it is an eigenvector? It is clearly not..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2
    Hi. What you obtain in (a) is wrong: the double derivative should give you two terms, the denominator should be a power of r and the index on M is probably a typo...

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    Sorry I don't quite follow..

5. Jan 26, 2015 #4
    Can you detail your calculation of Mij so maybe i can tell you what goes wrong?

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    Part(a)
    [tex]M_{ij} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^j x^i} GM(x^i x^i)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = -GM \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j} x^i (x^i x^i)^{-\frac{3}{2}} = 3GMx^i x^j (x^i x^i)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} [/tex]

Part (b)

[tex] M_{ij} x^j = 3GMx^i (x^j)^2 (x^i x^i)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} = 3GM (x^i x^i)^{-2} [/tex]

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6
    Ok. First i would recommend you actually expand r in terms of x,y and z instead of using summation convention: it will be less confusing and you'll see what's going on more clearly.
    But if you want to use it, you have to pick a different index for your denominator (not i or j)!
    Then you will see that in the second derivative you wrongfully assigned a Kronecker delta to 3GMxixj/r5,
    while you're forgetting a term for the case where i = j (so that this second term does come with a Kronecker delta!).
    If you do all that you'll see how part (b) comes out as expected.

8. Jan 27, 2015 #7

Oh I think I got it now. I should have used a dummy index for ##r##.

Part(a)

[tex]
    M_{ij} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^j x^i} GM(x^l x^l)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = -GM \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} = -GM \left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{j \neq i}} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \right]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    M_{ij} = -GM \left[ (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 (x^i)^2 (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} -3 x^i x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} \right]
    [/tex]

Part (b)

[tex]
    M_{ij} x^j = GM \left[ x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 x^j (x^i)^2 (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} -3 x^i (x^j)^2 (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \delta_{ij} \right]
    [/tex]

Using the kronecker delta,
    [tex]
    M_{ij} x^j = GM (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} x^j
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  9. Jan 27, 2015 #8
    You're getting there but there's still a mistake in your second derivative (again it would probably appear more clearly if you used explicit expressions of x,y,z):
    1 - you obtain 3 terms while there should be only two because the xj in the denominator gets a derivative whether or not j = i
    2 - the first term you obtain should be the one carrying a Kronecker delta since it is the one corresponding solely to the case where j = i

10. Jan 27, 2015 #9
    You're right, I'm complicating things. Here's what it should be:

Part(a)

[tex]
    M_{ij} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^j x^i} GM(x^l x^l)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = -GM \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j} x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} = -GM \left[ \delta_{ij}(x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 x^j x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}}\right]
    [/tex]

Part (b)

[tex]
    M_{ij} x^j = -GM \left[ \delta_{ij} x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 (x^j x^j) x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{5}{2}} \right] = -GM \left[ \delta_{ij} x^j (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} -3 x^i (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \right] = 2 GM (x^l x^l)^{-\frac{3}{2}} x^j
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  11. Jan 27, 2015 #10
    Yep. Now you can express again the denominator as r-3, so it's obvious that xj is an eigenvector...

12. Jan 27, 2015 #11
    Thanks man!! I will try out the remaining parts and update it here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted