1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity-surface gravity in killing horizon

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following-

[tex]\kappa^2=-1/2(\bigtriangledown_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\bigtriangledown^{\mu}V^{\nu})[/tex]
    Given, the following,
    [tex]\chi^{\lambda}\bigtriangledown_{\lambda}\chi^{\nu}=-\kappa\chi^{\nu}[/tex]
    [tex]\bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\kappa^2=-1/2(\bigtriangledown_{\mu}V_{\nu})(\bigtriangledown^{\mu}V^{\nu})[/tex]
    [tex]\chi^{\lambda}\bigtriangledown_{\lambda}\chi^{\nu}=-\kappa\chi^{\nu}[/tex]
    [tex]\bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not know how to start as the equation to prove has a raised covariant derivative. I tried to use the metric to lower it but I got stuck at how the metric would affect the equation. So please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2
    Take [tex]\chi_{[\mu}\bigtriangledown_{\nu}\chi_{\theta]}=0[/tex], use [tex]\bigtriangledown_{(\mu}\chi_{\nu)}=0[/tex] to get rid of half of the terms, then contract with [tex] \nabla^{\mu} \chi^{\nu} [/tex]

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot. I did the first two steps but I didn't know what to do next. Contracting gave the required result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook