1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution of linear system

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    I have this question, but don't know how to even start.

Suppose (M) is a linear system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns, where (2,-3,1) its solution.
    Suppose (O) is a matching homogeneous linear system, where (-1,1,1) and (1,0,1) its solutions.

How can I find the general solution of (M)?
    I'm totally lost with this one and appreciate any help.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Where (2, -3, 1) is what?
    Is there a word missing here?
    I understand what you're trying to say, but I would like you to rephrase things so that you have complete thoughts.

4. Jul 25, 2010 #3
    Edited the first post. Sorry for the missing words (I guess 24+ hours without sleep make me skip words).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. Jul 26, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Still missing words. Also, you cannot say that these are the solutions to the homogeneous system nor that (2, -3, 1) is the solution to the original system. Such a problem has an infinite number of solutions. If you can find a complete set of "independent" solutions then you can write any solution to the homogenous system as a linear combination of them. What is given here is not sufficient to conclude that there isn't a third linearly independent but to get an answer to this, we must assume so. It would have been a lot better if you had simply copied the problem as it was given.

Anyway, assuming that any solution to the homogeneous system must be of the form A(-1, 1, 1)+ B(1, 0, 1) for some numbers A and B. Notice that L(A(-1, 1, 1)+ B(1, 0, 1))= AL(-1, 1, 1)+ BL((1, 0, 1))= A(0)+ B(0)= 0. Further, if x is a solution to the original system, if L(x)= y where y was the given "right side" of the system, then L(A(-1, 1, 1)+ B(1, 0, 1)+ x)= AL(-1, 1, 1)+ BL(1, 0, 1)+ L(x)= 0+ 0+ L(x)= y.

6. Jul 26, 2010 #5
    Sorry for my grammar, English is not my native tongue.
    Anyway thanks for the hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook