1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General vs. Specialized Engineering

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    I am currently a general engineering student and plan on getting a electrical concentration. Would it be better to transfer to a college that offers electrical engineering? Which would have better job opportunities.

Also, I plan on getting a masters in EE. Would one degree prepare me more for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

It will be easier to get into a Master's program in EE if you have a BS (or are soon to get a BS) in EE. I'd go for the EE degree if possible.

4. Apr 8, 2014 #3
    Depends what it means to be a "general engineering student with an electrical concentration," I guess. To me, that sounds like it could just be a fancy name for "electrical engineering student." Do you know what the differences are between your current program and a typical "electrical engineering" program?

5. Apr 8, 2014 #4
    Mine has two years of general engineering courses then two years of your concentration.

6. Apr 8, 2014 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

That's typical of most EE programs. When I was an undergrad I didn't take a course in the EE dept until third year. So you're probably fine to get into grad school in your current major.

7. Apr 8, 2014 #6
    The EE program I was thinking of switching to has only 2 general engineering courses and the rest are EE.

8. Apr 8, 2014 #7

analogdesign

Science Advisor

hmmmm.... what year are you starting to take EE courses? I wonder how useful those courses would be if you haven't had Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, or Vector Calculus yet. Virtually all EE fields use one or more of those areas extensively.

9. Apr 8, 2014 #8
    well the EE classes at the beginning of the program were basic stuff like "intro to computer systems," "intro to ECE lab," "computer systems programming," "electrical circuits," "fundamentals of logic design," and "analytical foundation of ECE." This is the first two years of the NC State University ECE program.

ps ECE is electrical and computer engineering in case it wasn't clear

10. Apr 8, 2014 #9

analogdesign

Science Advisor

You go to NC State? That's a fantastic school... you'll have no problem at all going anywhere for grad school.

11. Apr 8, 2014 #10
    Not right now. I am hoping to transfer there from East Carolina University. Theirs is the general program I was talking about.

12. Apr 8, 2014 #11

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Is your general engineering program ABET accredited? If not you may want to transfer to one that is.

13. Apr 8, 2014 #12
    Yes, I believe it is.

14. Apr 9, 2014 #13

Physics_UG

Gold Member

You might want to find out. General engineering is not a typical program. Usually you specialize in EE, ME, CE, etc

15. Apr 9, 2014 #14
    Yes it is. I searched the abet site.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook