Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalization of Comparison Theorem

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    I was wondering if there is a generalization of the following (roughly stated) theorem to n-dimensional systems:

Given some restrictions on the functions [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g \in \Re[/itex], let [itex]y_s(t)[/itex] and [itex]x_s(t) \in \Re[/itex] be solutions to the initial value problems:

[tex]
    \dot{x}(t) = f(x,t), x(t_0) = x_0\\
    \dot{y}(t) = g(x,t), y(t_0) = y_0
    [/tex]

Then if [itex]f(x,t) > g(x,t)[/itex] in some domain [itex]D[/itex] containing [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]y_0[/itex] and [itex]x_0 \geq y_0[/itex], [itex]x_s(t) > y_s(t) \forall t > t_0[/itex] when the trajectories stay in this domain [itex]D[/itex].

This is a rough statement of the theorem, but I was wondering: is there an analogous statement for n-dimensional systems? For instance, is the following true?

Given some restrictions on the functions [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g \in \Re^n[/itex], let [itex]x_s(t)[/itex] and [itex]y_{s}(t) \in \Re^n[/itex] be solutions to the initial value problems:

[tex]
    \dot{x}(t) = f(x,t), x(t_0) = x_0\\
    \dot{y}_{1}(t) = g(x,t), y(t_0) = y_{0}
    [/tex]

Then if [itex]f(x,t)[/itex] is in the convex hull of [itex]g(x,t)[/itex] in some domain [itex]D[/itex] containing [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]y_0[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] is in the convex hull of [itex]y_0[/itex], [itex]x_s(t)[/itex] is in the convex hull of [itex]y_s(t) \forall t > t_0[/itex] when the trajectories stay in this domain [itex]D[/itex].

This result seems like it should be true, intuitively, but I'm having trouble finding a formal statement of it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2
    Sorry -- I was a little hasty in writing this and meant to say the functions [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] map [itex]\Re^2[/itex] to [itex]\Re[/itex], or, in the second possible theorem, map [itex]\Re^{n+1}[/itex] to [itex]\Re^n[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook