Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalized Dirac Equation for All Fermions?

1. Feb 11, 2015 #1

referframe

Gold Member

The original Dirac Equation was for the electron, a particle of spin 1/2.

Is there a "Generalized Dirac Equation" that has been experimentally proven to work for all fermions, not just those of spin 1/2?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't have an answer, but I thought it was the case that the only fundamental fermions appearing in any current theory is spin-1/2 and spin-3/2 (which appears in supergravity). Higher-spin fermions are not used for anything, as far as I know. Of course, a composite particle can have an arbitrarily large spin.

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    The equivalent equation for spin-3/2 particles is the Rarita-Schwinger equation. I don't know if there is any sort of general equation to cover all half-integer spins.

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

It can be done for any particular value of the spin; Weinberg's QFT vol.1 explains how, in general, this works. Also, in string theory, you get infinite towers of fields with increasing spin (and mass).

6. Feb 11, 2015 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The experimental part is an issue, there's no gravitino except on paper so far. Spin 5/2, 7/2, ... can't exist on paper, apparently, even though the general spin wave equation is as old as 1936 and the article by Dirac in PRSL. Then Pauli + Fierz, Bhabha, Duffin + Kemmer and last but not least Gel'fand and Yaglom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook