Generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian

In summary, the zeta function for a Hamiltonian can be defined as the trace of its inverse raised to a power, similar to the Riemann zeta function. The log determinant of the Hamiltonian with a spectral parameter acts as a generating function for the zeta functions, which can be proven by Taylor-expanding the logarithm and taking derivatives with respect to the spectral parameter. The first and second zeta functions can be obtained by taking the first and second derivatives of the log determinant at ##m^2=0##.
spaghetti3451
Given a Hamiltonian ##H##, with a spectrum of eigenvalues ##\lambda##, you can define
its zeta function as ##\zeta_H(s) = tr \frac{1}{H^s} = \sum_{\lambda}^{} \frac{1}{\lambda^s}##.

Subsequently, the log determinant of ##H## with a spectral parameter ##m^2## acts as a generating function for the zeta functions:

##ln(\frac{det(H+m^2)}{det(H)}) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}m^{2n} \zeta_{H}(n)##.

I understand that the zeta function for the Hamiltonian is defined in analogy to the Riemann zeta function. However, I do not understand how the log determinant can be used as a generating function for the zeta functions.

What exactly is a generating function? Can somebody prove the second relation, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to use the identity ln det=Tr ln.

So far, I have gone through the following steps in proving the second relation:

##ln(\frac{det(H+m^2)}{det(H)})\\ = ln(det(H+m^2)) - ln(det(H))\\ = [-\zeta_{H+m^2}^{'}(0)] - [-\zeta_{H}^{'}(0)]\\ = -\zeta_{H+m^2}^{'}(0) +\zeta_{H}^{'}(0)\\ = -\frac{d}{ds}\zeta_{H+m^2}(s)|_{s=0}+\frac{d}{ds}\zeta_{H}(s)|_{s=0}\\ =-\frac{d}{ds}(tr\frac{1}{(H+m^2)^s})|_{s=0}+\frac{d}{ds}(tr\frac{1}{(H)^s})|_{s=0} \\= -\frac{d}{ds}(tr\frac{1}{(H+m^2)^s}-tr\frac{1}{(H)^s})|_{s=0}\\= -\frac{d}{ds}(tr(H+m^2)^{-s}-tr(H)^{-s})|_{s=0}\\=??\\=??\\=??\\=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}m^{2n} \zeta_{H}(n)##

I think I am supposed to Taylor-expand the expression around ##m^2 = 0## to obtain the RHS, but I am not sure how to proceed. Could someone please write the next line or two to show me the way?

Last edited:
I think that's easier: ## \ln \det(H+m^2)-\ln \det H=\mathrm{Tr}\ln ((H+m^2)/H)=\mathrm{Tr} \ln (1+m^2/H)##
Taylor expansion of your logarithm should give you what you want.

Likes spaghetti3451
Alright! Let me try to reproduce the solution according to your specification:

##ln(\frac{det(H+m^2)}{det(H)})\\=ln(det(H+m^2))-ln(det(H))\\=tr(ln(H+m^2))-tr(ln(H))\\=tr(ln(\frac{H+m^2}{H}))\\=tr(ln(1+\frac{m^2}{H}))\\=tr(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}(\frac{m^2}{H})^{n})\\=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}m^{2n}tr(\frac{1}{H^n})\\=\\=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}m^{2n}\zeta_{H}(n)##

It's working fine, DrDu. Thank you! I hope there aren't any mistakes in my derivation.

I have one other question.
The first and second zeta functions correspond to the leading two coefficients in the small ##m^2##-expansion in the above relation (that gives the generating function for the zeta functions).

Therefore, they are simply determined by taking one and two derivatives of the functional determinant with respect to ##m^2## as

##\zeta_{H}^{L}(1)=+(\frac{\partial}{\partial m^2})^{1}ln(det(H+m^2))|_{m^{2}=0},\\ \zeta_{H}^{L}(2)=-(\frac{\partial}{\partial m^2})^{2}ln(det(H+m^2))|_{m^{2}=0}.##
I understand how the two equations come about when you differentiate both sides of the generating function relation with respect to ##m^2##.
However, I do not understand why you need to take the resulting derivative to zero. Could you please help me out with it?

Come on, that's easy! Write down the derivative of the Taylor series explicitly.

Likes spaghetti3451
Indeed, it's easy! As you mentioned, if I write down the terms of the Taylor series (in the RHS of the generating function relation) explicitly, and then differentiate this series with respect to ##m^2##, then all terms except the first term depend on ##m##. To drop these other terms, we should take ##m^{2}=0##.

I get it! :) Thank you!

1. What is a generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian?

A generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian is a mathematical tool used to express the zeta function as a power series. It allows us to study the properties and behavior of the zeta function in a more systematic way.

2. How is the generating function related to the Hamiltonian?

The generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian is directly related to the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical operator used to describe the energy of a physical system. The zeta function of the Hamiltonian is a way to analyze the behavior of the energy levels of a system.

3. What are the applications of the generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian?

The generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian has numerous applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It is used to study the energy spectrum of physical systems, as well as their thermodynamic properties.

4. How is the generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian calculated?

The generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian is typically calculated using complex analysis and techniques from calculus. It involves manipulating the power series representation of the zeta function to obtain a generating function.

5. What are the benefits of using a generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian?

The generating function for the zeta function of the Hamiltonian allows us to study the behavior of the zeta function in a more organized and systematic way. It also provides a way to calculate and analyze the energy levels and thermodynamic properties of physical systems, which can be useful in various fields of physics and engineering.