Generating function of a recurrance relation

In summary: To fix this, we can multiply both sides by x:x(A(x) - a[0] - a[1]) = -xA(x) + x(a[0]) + 6xA(x)(A(x) - a[0] - a[1]) = -x(A(x) + a[0]) + 6xA(x)A(x) - a[0] - a[1] = -xA(x) - a[0]x + 6xA(x)A(x) + xA(x) - 6xA(x) = a[0]x + a[1] + 1A(x) = (a[0
jrp131191
Suppose A(x) is a generating function for the sequence a0, a1, a2, . . . that satisfies
the recurrence a[n+2] = −a[n+1] + 6a[n] for n > 0, with initial conditions a[0] = 2 and
a[1] = −1. Find a formula for A(x) and use it to find an explicit formula for a[n].

I don't know what I am doing wrong, here is what I have done..
the first few terms of this sequence are 2,-1,13,-19,97,-211
my taylor series expansion is .. 1 + x + 5 x^2 + x^3 + 29x^4 which is wrong..

______________________________________…

a[n+2] = −a[n+1] + 6a[n]

all summations for n_> 0

∑ a[n+2] = -∑a[n+1] + 6∑a[n]

∑ a[n+2]x^n = -∑a[n+1]x^n + 6∑a[n]x^n

(1/x^2)∑ a[n+2]x^(n+2) = -(1/x)∑a[n+1]x^(n+1) + 6∑a[n]x^n

A(x) = ∑a[n]x^n

=> (1/x^2)(A(x) - a[0] - a[1]) = -(1/x)(A(x) - a[0]) + 6A(x)

A(x) - a[0] - a[1] = -x(A(x) - a[0]) + 6x^2A(x)

A(x)-2+1 = -xA(x) + 2x + 6x^2A(x)

A(x) +xA(x) - 6x^2A(x) = 2x + 1

A(x)(1+x-6x^2) = 2x+1

A(x) = (2x+1)/(1+x-6x^2)

and this functions series expansion does not have the right coefficients as mentioned before.. i really can't see where I've gone wrong..

help please :(

Physics news on Phys.org
jrp131191 said:
A(x)(1+x-6x^2) = 2x+1

A(x) (1 + x - 6x^2) = 2x - 1

jrp131191 said:
(1/x^2)∑ a[n+2]x^(n+2) = -(1/x)∑a[n+1]x^(n+1) + 6∑a[n]x^n

A(x) = ∑a[n]x^n

=> (1/x^2)(A(x) - a[0] - a[1]) = -(1/x)(A(x) - a[0]) + 6A(x)

an x is missing from one of the terms above

1. What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical tool used to represent a sequence of numbers or objects as a polynomial. It allows for the manipulation and analysis of these sequences using algebraic operations.

2. How is a generating function related to a recurrence relation?

A generating function can be used to solve a recurrence relation by converting it into a polynomial equation. This allows for the determination of a closed form expression for the sequence, making it easier to calculate and analyze.

3. What is the purpose of finding the generating function of a recurrence relation?

The generating function allows for the efficient calculation of the terms in a sequence, as well as the determination of its asymptotic behavior. It also provides insight into the relationship between terms in the sequence and can help identify patterns and trends.

4. How is a generating function calculated?

The generating function is typically calculated by manipulating the recurrence relation into a polynomial form and then using algebraic operations to simplify it. This process may involve substitution, differentiation, or integration.

5. Are there any limitations to using generating functions for solving recurrence relations?

While generating functions can be a powerful tool for solving recurrence relations, they may not always provide a closed form solution or be applicable to all types of sequences. In some cases, alternative methods such as iteration or solving a difference equation may be necessary.