1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating level surface from 2 variable function

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given f(x,y)=9/(x+y) find a level surface.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    g(x,y,z)=f(x,y)-z=0?
    g(x,y,z)=9/(x+y) -z=0?

That answer is wrong. Apparently i must have the following:

g(x,y,z)=z(x+y)=9

How do I solve problems like these?

Another example is to find a function f(x,y,z) whose level surface f=5 is the graph of the paraboloid
    g(x,y)=-x^2 -y^2

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need any ##z## variable. To find level surface of a function ##f(x,y)## just plot the graphs of ##f(x,y)=C## for various constants ##C##. For a two variable problem like yours, they will be curves in the ##xy## plane, not surfaces.

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Wouldn't that be generating level curves? I guess my terminology is bad. What i am asking is how do make f(x,y) into
    F(x,y,z)

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if you have a function ##f(x,y)## you would talk about its level curves, not level surfaces as your original question stated. If you want to plot the graph of the function ##f(x,y)## you would to a 3D plot of the equation ##z=f(x,y)##, which is the same as ##z - f(x,y)=0## which is one of the level surfaces of ##F(x,y,z)=z-f(x,y)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted