Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic sourcing for African Americans

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1
    Would a genetic method for tracing racial history be of help to African Americans seeking to recoup their origins?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think recouping would be a good idea, with what in mind? It would be possible to find a common ancestor with the use of SNP typing: single nucleotide polymorphisms in the genome that have a low mutation frequency compared to other markers.

4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    African Americans have lost over the recent centuries (16th-mid 19th) almost all of their commonalities that other Americans take for granted. For instance, I know that my ancestors came mostly from Germany, some from England, and some from Holland. A simple blood test might allow these otherwise lost peoples to trace the regions of Africa from which their forefathers originated.

5. Dec 18, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you say 'recoup' it sounds like they should gain some rights after they find out their heritage, become of status, which I think is a bad idea. But I understand that you simply mean for people to trace their heritage, which could be of interest for anyone.

I don't know how African Americans view themselves and what kind of information they have about their heritage (wouldn't they know?), I wouldn't consider myself lost if I wouldn't know the origins of my forefathers (my knowledge doesn't go beyond my grandparents).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?