Test Your Geography Knowledge: Play "GeoGuessr"

In summary, the conversation is about a game called "Where's That Landmark?" that some forum members have been playing for years. They mention a similar game called "GeoGuessr" and discuss their experiences and strategies. Some players have achieved high scores, while others struggle. Some use clues from road signs and zooming out on the map, while others rely on luck. One player shares a link to their impressive score, but has trouble sharing it due to technical issues. Despite the occasional frustration, they all agree that the game is fun and educational.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
To all PFers who have played "Where's That Landmark?" over the years: it's all just an elaborate exercise to prepare for this game:

http://geoguessr.com/

Lots of fun :biggrin:. I think I got to 12,000 once, I'm *certain* folks here can beat that.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
8797. I mistakenly thought Texas was Chile.

The countries I have the hardest time with are Brazil and Norway.

Once I got nothing but desert after desert. I didn't score well but I learned that whew, there are lots of deserts on this wonderful planet.

Is looking at the road signs cheating?

DavidSnider said:
Is looking at the road signs cheating?

Well, since it's not a competition, anything goes. The rules I impose on myself: anything I can see is a clue, so sure looking at signs is OK. But no googling!

I just got one 148 km from the actual place. Somewhere in Kansas. Best I've gotten so far was just under 10k. I'm going to keep playing that because that's fun and sort of educational. Thanks.

leroyjenkens said:
I just got one 148 km from the actual place. Somewhere in Kansas. Best I've gotten so far was just under 10k. I'm going to keep playing that because that's fun and sort of educational. Thanks.

I feel good if I break 10K. Most of the time I don't, though.

One thing I've learned: right away, zoom out. Then spin around. You can get some good clues that way!

Funny, first time I tried all my answers were exactly NE from the real answers, just in different distances (ranging from 190 to 10k km). I got above 12k, but it was a sheer luck.

9156. Didn't get a lot of points for a Spanish landmark that I thought was in Mexico. :rolleyes:

Sigh, I got 32384 points, but it stopped responding and I can't get link to share the result
grumpy_borek.png

geoguessr_32384_256.png

Wheeeee

Your guess was 4.527 km from the correct location and gave 6114 points.

1. What is "GeoGuessr"?

"GeoGuessr" is an online geography game created by Anton Wallén in 2013. It uses Google Street View images to place players in a random location around the world and challenges them to guess their location based on visual clues.

2. How do you play "GeoGuessr"?

To play "GeoGuessr", simply visit the website and click on the "Play" button. You will be shown a Google Street View image and must use the visual clues to make a guess on the map provided. The closer your guess is to the actual location, the more points you will earn.

3. Can you play "GeoGuessr" on mobile devices?

Yes, "GeoGuessr" is available on both iOS and Android devices. You can download the app from the App Store or Google Play Store.

4. Is "GeoGuessr" educational?

While "GeoGuessr" is primarily a game, it can also be educational. It tests players' knowledge of geography and encourages them to explore different locations around the world.

5. Are there different game modes in "GeoGuessr"?

Yes, there are different game modes in "GeoGuessr" such as the World mode, where players are placed in a random location anywhere in the world, and the Country mode, where players must guess the country they are in based on the surroundings. There are also paid game modes available for premium members.