Geometric Distribution Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of success in an experiment where three fair coins are tossed repeatedly and success is defined as all three coins showing heads. The probability is calculated using the geometric distribution equation, where the probability of success (\theta) is 1/8. The probability of success on the third performance is then calculated to be 0.095703125. The expert confirms that the calculation is correct and states that the correct method was used.
James...

Homework Statement

An experiment consistion of tossing three fair coins is performed repeatedly and "success" is when all three show a head.

What is the probability that the success is on the third performance of the experiment?

Homework Equations

Geometric distribution equation

p(x) = [tex]\theta[/tex](1-[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]\stackrel{(x-1)}{}[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the probability of success

The Attempt at a Solution

The probability of getting heads on a fair coin is 1/2

so the probability of 3 heads is 1/8 which is [tex]\theta[/tex]

I'm assuming the third trial is when x=3 so

p(3) = (1/8)*(1-(1/8))^2

p(3) = 0.095703125...Am I correct in my working/method for this question?

Many thanks

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me!

Cheers! I know the actualy calculation is done right. Just wasn't completely sure if I'd used the right method.

I stupidly left the notes I did for the question at University and I'm revising now at home so can't check over them.

What is the Geometric Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution is a statistical probability distribution that measures the number of trials required to achieve a single success in a series of independent trials. It is often used to model success or failure in a series of Bernoulli trials.

What are the key characteristics of the Geometric Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution is discrete and right-skewed, meaning that the majority of the data is concentrated on the left side of the distribution. It also has a long tail on the right side, indicating that there is a small but non-zero chance of a large number of trials being required to achieve success.

How is the Geometric Distribution calculated?

The Geometric Distribution is calculated using the formula P(X = k) = (1-p)^(k-1)*p, where k is the number of trials required to achieve success, and p is the probability of success in a single trial. This formula is used to determine the probability of achieving success on the kth trial.

What are some real-life applications of the Geometric Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution can be used to model events such as the number of attempts it takes to make a free throw in basketball, the number of tries it takes to win a game of roulette, or the number of attempts it takes to successfully solve a puzzle. It can also be used in quality control to determine the number of defective products in a batch.

What is the relationship between the Geometric Distribution and the Binomial Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution is a special case of the Binomial Distribution, where the number of trials is fixed at one and the probability of success remains constant. In other words, the Geometric Distribution can be thought of as a subset of the Binomial Distribution, focused on the probability of achieving success on a single trial.