How to understand this property of Geometric Distribution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
christang_1023
Messages
27
Reaction score
3
There is a property to geometric distribution, $$\text{Geometric distribution } Pr(x=n+k|x>n)=P(k)$$.
I understand it in such a way: ##X## is independent, that's to say after there are ##(n+k-1)## successive failures, ##k## additional trials performed afterward won't be impacted, so these ##k## trials can be treated as isolated trials.
Am I right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
christang_1023 said:
There is a property to geometric distribution, $$\text{Geometric distribution } Pr(x=n+k|x>n)=P(k)$$.
I understand it in such a way: ##X## is independent, that's to say after there are ##(n+k-1)## successive failures, ##k## additional trials performed afterward won't be impacted, so these ##k## trials can be treated as isolated trials.
Am I right?

Yes, that's the intuition to remember it. But be sure to be able to prove it using the definition of geometric distribution.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: christang_1023