Geometric interpretation of orthogonal level curves in complex derivatives

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Ed Quanta
Messages
296
Reaction score
0
When I use d, I am referring to a partial derivative here.

So where w(z)=u(x,y) + iv(x,y), and the derivative of w(z) exists, I have shown that

(du/dx)(du/dy) + (dv/dx)(dv/dy) = 0

But I have to give a geometric interpretation of this which is somewhat confusing to me. I am not sure what do here. Should I start by constructing vectors normal to the curve u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2? And if so, how do I do this? Thanks for reading and wasting your time on me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. You may consider the vectors normal to the curve u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2. To construct normal vectors you just take the gradients of the functions u(x,y) and v(x,y). The condition (du/dx)(du/dy) + (dv/dx)(dv/dy) = 0 means that the two sets of normal vectors are orthogonal. What does this say about the curves u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2 themselves?
 


The equation (du/dx)(du/dy) + (dv/dx)(dv/dy) = 0 represents the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary conditions for a complex function to be analytic. In geometric terms, this equation can be interpreted as the orthogonality of the gradient vectors of the real and imaginary parts of the complex function.

To understand this, let's start by considering the real and imaginary parts of the complex function w(z). The real part, u(x,y), can be thought of as a surface in 3-dimensional space, with the x and y axes representing the independent variables and the z-axis representing the dependent variable. Similarly, the imaginary part, v(x,y), can also be thought of as a surface in 3-dimensional space.

Now, the partial derivatives (du/dx) and (du/dy) represent the slopes of the surface u(x,y) in the x and y directions respectively. Similarly, (dv/dx) and (dv/dy) represent the slopes of the surface v(x,y) in the x and y directions.

The Cauchy-Riemann equations state that these slopes must be perpendicular to each other, or in other words, the gradient vectors of u(x,y) and v(x,y) must be orthogonal. This can be visualized by constructing vectors normal to the curves u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2, which would be perpendicular to the tangent lines of these curves.

By satisfying the Cauchy-Riemann equations, we ensure that the complex function w(z) is differentiable, and hence analytic. This is important in complex analysis, as analytic functions have many useful properties that make them easier to study and work with.