1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Functions and Equality of their Complex Derivatives

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are both analytic in a domain [itex]D[/itex] and if [itex]f'(z)=g'(z)[/itex] for every [itex]z\in{D}[/itex], show that [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] differ by a constant in [itex]D[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Cauchy-Riemann Equations

Possibly Mean Value Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill here, this question has stumped me for a while, and I'm certain that I'm missing some small insight that would make the answer evident.

The central premise of the question as I understand it is, for [itex]f(x,y)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]g(x,y)=a(x,y)+ib(x,y)[/itex], we should have:

[itex]u_x(x,y)=v_y(x,y)=c_x(x,y)=d_y(x,y)[/itex]
    and
    [itex]u_y(x,y)=-v_x(x,y)=c_y(x,y)=-d_x(x,y)[/itex].

I think that I am able to integrate these functions as one normally would, for example:

[itex]u(x,y)=\int{u_{x}(x,y)dx}+A(y)+B[/itex]
    [itex]u(x,y)=\int{u_{y}(x,y)dy}+C(x)+D[/itex]

where I've taken the liberty of adding the function and constant of integration outside of the integral. My impression from this is that I should be able to use this idea and the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that all of the functions that appear from the integral vanish (or at least become constant) and that I am just left with the sum of two constants. Unfortunately I haven't actually gotten anywhere with that.

Another approach I've tried was to consider an open disk contained [itex]D[/itex] and centered at [itex]a+ib[/itex] with an arbitrary point given by [itex]z=x+iy[/itex] and to apply the Mean Value Theorem by writing:

[itex]u_{x}(x,y)-u_{x}(a,y)+u_{x}(a,y)-u_{x}(a,b)=(x-a)u_{xx}(X)+(y-b)u_{xy}(Y)[/itex]

and doing this for each of [itex]u_x(x,y)=v_y(x,y)=c_x(x,y)=d_y(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]u_y(x,y)=-v_x(x,y)=c_y(x,y)=-d_x(x,y)[/itex], however, I haven't seen any path to take with this either that would be relevant to the question at hand.

This has been bugging me, and I'm convinced there is a straightforward way of going about this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

f'(z) = g'(z) on D and the derivatives exist everywhere within D. Then this means f'(z) - g'(z) vanishes everywhere within D. So...?

4. May 26, 2014 #3
    Hahaha! I knew it was going to be something I would want to smack myself about!

So let me see if I got this then:

[itex]f'(z)-g'(z)=0[/itex], hence [itex]\int{f'(z)-g'(z)}dz=\int{(0)}dz\rightarrow{f(z)-g(z)}=C[/itex] for some complex number [itex]C[/itex], right?

5. May 26, 2014 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Yeah, looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted