Geometrical integral interpretation

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help finding integrals for a statics exam. The provided link leads to a table representing the value of the integral of the products of two different distributions. The purpose of the table is not clear, but it may be used in calculating things like area-moment diagrams.
miloslavc
Hi friends, i have i request for you. For my statics exam i need integrals and i found this page in russian, and can not find rest or even know how it's called because when i translate title i don't get any results. Can you please help me and tell me where can i find the rest. https://app.box.com/s/k9a15wb6bit4ezpp25r7

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi miloslavc! welcome to pf! :smile:

i don't recognise any of those results, but the formula might be a product of inertia (an off-diagonal component of a moment of inertia or moment of area tensor)

IDK about the integrals being products of inertia, but the table represents the value of the integral of the products of two different distributions. Across the top, you have a triangular and a trapezoidal distribution, Mi. Down the left hand side, you start with a trapezoidal, triangular, then a constant distribution, Mk. The values within the table are for the integral of the combined distribution Mi*Mk.

I'm not sure, but I think such a table would be used in calculating things like area-moment diagrams. Instead of finding the product of the two distributions using point-by-point multiplication and then integrating, the table gives the value of a particular combination expressed in terms of quantities of the component distributions.

When the OP says 'For my statics exam, I need integrals.', what the heck does that mean?

1. What is the geometrical integral interpretation?

The geometrical integral interpretation is a mathematical concept that allows for the calculation of the area under a curve by breaking it into infinitesimally small rectangles and summing their areas. It is also known as the Riemann integral and is an important tool in calculus.

2. How is the geometrical integral interpretation used in real-life applications?

The geometrical integral interpretation is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, finding the area under a demand curve in economics, and determining the displacement of an object over time in physics.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the area under a curve between two given points. An indefinite integral has no limits of integration and represents a general antiderivative of a function.

4. How does the geometrical integral interpretation relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the limits of integration. The geometrical integral interpretation provides a visual representation of this concept by breaking down the area under a curve into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

5. Are there any limitations to the geometrical integral interpretation?

The geometrical integral interpretation has limitations when dealing with functions that are not continuous or have infinite discontinuities. It also cannot be used to find the area under a curve if the function does not have a defined antiderivative. In such cases, other numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule may be used to approximate the integral.