Geometry (Proof right triangle angle sum is 180)

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the angles in a right triangle add up to 180 degrees. The person is looking for help in understanding how to prove this and asks for the proof to be presented in a statement and reason format. They also mention that they remember the concept of complementary angles, but not how to prove it. Two sources are provided for the proof and the concept of supplementary angles is mentioned as well.
Lucky_69
Hi guys not sure were this goes sorry...

It's been a while sense I have taken geometry so my skills are a little rusty...

It tunrs out that I need to prove that the angles in a right tranlge add up to 180

I have looked on the internet and people just tell me oh this angle and that angle are complementary

However this does me no good as I no longer know how to prove that two angles are complementary I do remeber what it means just don't remeber how to prove it...

so if you could point me to a proof for right triangles that the sum of all of its angles is 180 that would be great

please tell me in statement reason format because just telling me two angles are complementary won't tell me anything becasue I don't remeber how to prove why two angles are complementary but I still remeber what it means...

Thanks guys!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why prove that a right triangle's angles add to 180 degrees? That is true in any triangle (in Euclidean geometry) and depends upon properties of parallel lines (which is why I added "in Euclidean geometry"). At one vertex, construct a line parallel to the side of the triangle opposite that vertex. Now show that the three angles the triangle makes with that line are congruent to the three angles in the triangle (one of them is an angle in the triangle, the other two are "alternating interior angles").

Is this any help? The five steps on the right support the main proof (6) on the left. Pairs of lines with double dashes through them are parallel to each other. Pairs of lines with single dashes through them are also parallel to each other. Like Halls of Ivy says, the angles of any triangle (in Euclidean space) add up to 180 degrees, not just a right-angled triangle. I drew an acute triangle, but the same logic applies to right-angled or obtuse triangles. The technical term for a pair of angles which add up to 180 degrees is "supplementary".

Attachments

• triangle.jpg
    triangle.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 496
Likes physics user1
I think it is better to think of the angles of a triangle adding up to a straight angle, or half a circle. The the notion of degrees is a purely arbitrary add on, but this may not be clear to the student.

Euclid, Book 1, Proposition 32 says the sum of the three interior angles of a triangle add up to two right angles.

What is the proof that the sum of the angles in a right triangle is 180 degrees?

The proof for this statement can be found in Euclid's Elements, specifically in Proposition 32 of Book I. This proof is known as the Pythagorean Theorem and it states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Can you provide a visual representation of the proof?

Yes, the visual representation of the proof is often referred to as a proof diagram. It shows a right triangle with squares drawn on each of the sides and the hypotenuse. The area of the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares on the other two sides.

Is this proof applicable to all right triangles?

Yes, this proof is applicable to all right triangles. It is a fundamental theorem in geometry and is valid for all right triangles, regardless of their size or shape.

How can this proof be used to solve problems?

This proof can be used to solve a variety of problems related to right triangles. For example, it can be used to find the length of a missing side or to determine if three given angles can form a right triangle.

Are there any real-world applications of this proof?

Yes, this proof has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to solve problems involving right angles, such as calculating the height of a building or determining the distance between two points.