Geometry - Stereographic projection

In summary, the conversation discusses the mapping of circles on the sphere S^2 onto the plane H using stereographic projection. The claim is that the radius of the circle on H is equal to the radius of the projected circle on S^2. However, this claim is not true as the radii of the projected circles on H increase without bound as they get closer to the top of the sphere. Additionally, the radii of the projected circles are never equal to the radii of the original circles due to the perpendicular relationship between them.
Pearce_09
I know if a cirlce (on S^2) does not contain N (0,0,1) then it is mapped onto the plane H as a circle. Now say the circles on S^2 are lines of latitude. When mapped by the stereographic projection they are cirlces in R^3 on the plane H. Now the only thing I am not sure on is,

my claim:
When lines of latitude are mapped by the stereographic projection the radius of the circle on H, is the same radies as the circle that was projected from S^2.

I know for one thing that if the equator is mapped onto H it is the same on H as on S^2.

(great cirlces containing N are mapped to lines on H)

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I misunderstood your claim, it cannot be true, since the radii of the projected circles on H increase without bound as you get latitudes closer to the top of the sphere.

hypermorphism said:
Unless I misunderstood your claim, it cannot be true, since the radii of the projected circles on H increase without bound as you get latitudes closer to the top of the sphere.

In addition, given that N, a circle of latitude on the sphere and its stereographic projection, form a cone with N as its apex that is in some sense perpendicular to the planes defined by the two circles, the radii are never equal to each other.

1. What is stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is a method of projecting points on a 3-dimensional sphere onto a 2-dimensional plane. It is commonly used in geometry, map-making, and crystallography.

2. How does stereographic projection work?

In stereographic projection, a point on the sphere (known as the "pole") is projected onto the plane by drawing a line from the pole to the point and extending it until it intersects the plane. The point where the line intersects the plane is the projected point.

3. What are the uses of stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is used in various fields, including mathematics, cartography, and crystallography. In mathematics, it is used to study spherical geometry and to visualize 3-dimensional objects on a 2-dimensional surface. In cartography, it is used to create maps of the earth's surface. In crystallography, it is used to study the symmetry of crystals.

4. What are the advantages of stereographic projection over other projection methods?

Stereographic projection has several advantages over other projection methods. It preserves angles, shapes, and areas, making it useful for studying geometric properties. It also has a simple and intuitive construction, which makes it easy to understand and use.

5. What are some real-life applications of stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection has various real-life applications, including map-making, navigation, astronomy, and crystallography. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3-dimensional images and in virtual reality to create immersive experiences. Additionally, stereographic projection is used in architecture and engineering to visualize and design 3-dimensional structures.