Rotations around the x and y axes of stereographic sphere

In summary, the equations provided represent rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere, which map the sphere onto itself and any geodesic line onto another geodesic line. The meaning of the symbol ##\delta## is not clearly stated, but it is used as a deviation. The solution involves finding the stereographic projection in the ##p_x,p_y##-plane, integrating, and substituting the resulting equations for ##\sin\phi## and ##\cos\phi## into the original expression for ##\textbf{p}##. However, it is unclear if this method is correct or incorrect. Upon further analysis, the solution does not seem to be correct as it results in an equation where ##
IanBerkman

Homework Statement

Show that the equations
$$ \delta \phi = \cot \theta \cot \phi \delta \theta, \quad \delta \phi =- \cot \theta \tan \phi \delta \theta$$
represent rotations around the x and y axes respectively of a stereographic sphere.
Both these two rotations map the sphere on itself and map any geodesic line on another geodesic line.

Homework Equations

The sphere is a momentum sphere with radius ##p_0##. Assuming ##\theta## is the angle from the z-axis and ##\phi## the angle from the x-axis. We obtain the stereographic projection in the ##p_x,p_y##-plane by
$$
\textbf{p} = p_0\cot(\theta/2)(\cos\phi, \sin\phi, 0)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The meaning of ##\delta## is not clearly stated and I used it as a deviation (similar to ##\Delta##).
An infinitesimal small deviation gives for the x-rotation
$$d \phi = \cot \theta \cot \phi d\theta$$
Integrating gives
$$\cos\phi = a\csc\theta$$
Where ##a## is the constant of the integration.
Intuitively I think the answer of it being a rotation around the x-axis is hidden in this equation, but I fail to see it.

Furthermore, I need to express the new stereographic project of the momentum under a rotation.
Differentiating w.r.t. ##\phi## gives
$$ \sin \phi = a \cot\theta\csc\theta \frac{d\theta}{d\phi} =
a\csc\theta\tan\phi$$
Substituting these equations of ##\sin\phi## and ##\cos\phi## into the expression ##\textbf{p}## at the top gives
$$
\textbf{p}=ap_0\cot(\theta/2)\csc\theta(1,\tan\phi,0)$$

The problem is, I do not know if I do this correct or entirely wrong. I want to hear your opinion about this.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Substituting the ##\cos\phi## term in the spherical coordinates gives an constant for ##x##. Furthermore, I obtain ##y=rc\tan\phi## and ##z=rc\tan\phi\sec\phi##. This gives ##y^2+z^2\neq constant##, which is not possible.

Last edited:

1. What is a stereographic sphere?

A stereographic sphere is a geometric representation of a sphere on a flat plane. It is often used in mathematics and physics to visualize and analyze 3-dimensional rotations and transformations.

2. How do rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere work?

Rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere involve rotating the sphere along these axes, resulting in a change in orientation of the sphere. This can be represented mathematically using rotation matrices or quaternions.

3. What are some real-world applications of rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere?

Rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere have many practical applications, including navigation and orientation in 3D space, computer graphics and animation, and molecular modeling in chemistry and biology.

4. Can rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere be combined?

Yes, rotations around different axes of a stereographic sphere can be combined to create complex rotations and transformations. This is known as composing rotations and is essential in many mathematical and scientific fields.

5. How do rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere relate to the concept of angular velocity?

Rotations around the x and y axes of a stereographic sphere can be used to calculate angular velocity, which is the rate of change of the orientation of the sphere. This is an important concept in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of rotational motion.