1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotations around the x and y axes of stereographic sphere

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the equations
    $$ \delta \phi = \cot \theta \cot \phi \delta \theta, \quad \delta \phi =- \cot \theta \tan \phi \delta \theta$$
    represent rotations around the x and y axes respectively of a stereographic sphere.
    Both these two rotations map the sphere on itself and map any geodesic line on another geodesic line.

2. Relevant equations
    The sphere is a momentum sphere with radius ##p_0##. Assuming ##\theta## is the angle from the z-axis and ##\phi## the angle from the x-axis. We obtain the stereographic projection in the ##p_x,p_y##-plane by
    $$
    \textbf{p} = p_0\cot(\theta/2)(\cos\phi, \sin\phi, 0)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The meaning of ##\delta## is not clearly stated and I used it as a deviation (similar to ##\Delta##).
    An infinitesimal small deviation gives for the x-rotation
    $$d \phi = \cot \theta \cot \phi d\theta$$
    Integrating gives
    $$\cos\phi = a\csc\theta$$
    Where ##a## is the constant of the integration.
    Intuitively I think the answer of it being a rotation around the x-axis is hidden in this equation, but I fail to see it.

Furthermore, I need to express the new stereographic project of the momentum under a rotation.
    Differentiating w.r.t. ##\phi## gives
    $$ \sin \phi = a \cot\theta\csc\theta \frac{d\theta}{d\phi} =
    a\csc\theta\tan\phi$$
    Substituting these equations of ##\sin\phi## and ##\cos\phi## into the expression ##\textbf{p}## at the top gives
    $$
    \textbf{p}=ap_0\cot(\theta/2)\csc\theta(1,\tan\phi,0)$$

The problem is, I do not know if I do this correct or entirely wrong. I want to hear your opinion about this.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2
    Substituting the ##\cos\phi## term in the spherical coordinates gives an constant for ##x##. Furthermore, I obtain ##y=rc\tan\phi## and ##z=rc\tan\phi\sec\phi##. This gives ##y^2+z^2\neq constant##, which is not possible.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted