1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Georgetown College, a small liberal arts college in Kentucky

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    So right now I go to Georgetown College, a small liberal arts college in Kentucky. I am a junior and my majors are physics, mathematics, and philosophy. I have about a 3.8 and will be studying philosophy at Oxford next semester (I will actually be studying there, not one of those fake programs where you just bring your teacher with you). I am considering transferring for the last 1.5 years of my schooling (1.5 because of my three majors). Would this be beneficial for getting into graduate school? I look to pursue a Ph.D in either some field of physics or math, but I am not sure yet. What would be some positives in transferring and could I get any scholarship to a good school (very short on money)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    Re: Transfer?

I am assuming your college does not have a graduate program in math or physics. Transferring to an university with one for undergrad could be a positive. This will give you an opportunity to perform research. Another idea is to start focusing down on your area of interest. Take some graduate level courses during your undergrad. I was a philosophy and physics double major during my undergrad. My junior year I decided to drop the philosophy major in order to take additional grad level physics classes. Suggestion - try to finish up your philosophy degree at your liberal arts college before you transfer. Then, you will be able to focus more on advance courses and technical abilities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?