1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics at liberal art college or engineering college

  1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    hi I am an high school students and currently looking forward to apply for undergrad physics program in US universities but i am bit confused university is asking whether i am applying to college of art and science or engineering college .I am want to be an theoretical physicist /or astrophysicist but i don't like circuits and stuff i.e electrical engineering ,I want to study relativity ,string theory ,quantum mechanics, cosmology and stuff. please can anyone tell me to which college should i apply liberal arts or engineering college I have also heard that liberal art degree is not as valuable as engineering physics degree .Or is something i don't know about engineering physics please help I have just few days left to apply because i am applying for early action (1 november )
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2
    Apply to the college in which the Physics Department is located.
  4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    Sir can you please tell the difference between liberal art physics course and the one in engineer class
    thanks in advance
  5. Sep 15, 2015 #4
    Which is it? The college of arts and science is what you want, but liberal arts is not.
  6. Sep 15, 2015 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Most of the physics departments are located within the college of arts and sciences of a university. However, the university of Illinois (top ten program) had its department administratively located in the engineering school. Go on google, type whatever school name and physics and go to the link how to apply which discusses both undergraduate and graduate admissions.
  7. Sep 15, 2015 #6
    I am getting confused ,can you please tell me difference between physics at the college of arts and science and physics at engineering college because there are some school which are providing both option either physics at the college of arts and science or physics at engineering college .
  8. Sep 15, 2015 #7


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Can you not find out from those universities' web sites the details (required classes, etc.) of the physics degrees under both options? If you're having trouble finding that information, tell us the name of one or two of those universities and maybe someone here can help you with that.
  9. Sep 15, 2015 #8

    Meir Achuz

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    The physics program itself is usually the same at either type of college. Just make sure it's a good program, by looking at the courses that are given. The main difference is what courses you might take outside the physics program.
  10. Sep 15, 2015 #9
    thank you guys a lot i figured it out .
    this site is really helpful
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook