Physics at liberal art college or engineering college

In summary, a high school student is looking to apply for an undergraduate physics program in US universities. They are unsure whether to apply to the college of arts and sciences or the engineering college. They want to study theoretical physics or astrophysics and are not interested in electrical engineering. They have just a few days left to apply and are seeking clarification on the differences between a liberal arts physics course and one in an engineering class. The recommendation is to apply to the college where the Physics Department is located, as most physics departments are located within the college of arts and sciences. However, there are some universities where the physics department is located within the engineering school. The main difference between the two options is the courses taken outside of the physics program. It is
ujjwal3097
hi I am an high school students and currently looking forward to apply for undergrad physics program in US universities but i am bit confused university is asking whether i am applying to college of art and science or engineering college .I am want to be an theoretical physicist /or astrophysicist but i don't like circuits and stuff i.e electrical engineering ,I want to study relativity ,string theory ,quantum mechanics, cosmology and stuff. please can anyone tell me to which college should i apply liberal arts or engineering college I have also heard that liberal art degree is not as valuable as engineering physics degree .Or is something i don't know about engineering physics please help I have just few days left to apply because i am applying for early action (1 november )
thanks
regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply to the college in which the Physics Department is located.

Sir can you please tell the difference between liberal art physics course and the one in engineer class
thanks in advance

ujjwal3097 said:
whether i am applying to college of art and science or engineering college . regards

ujjwal3097 said:
should i apply liberal arts or engineering college

Which is it? The college of arts and science is what you want, but liberal arts is not.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Most of the physics departments are located within the college of arts and sciences of a university. However, the university of Illinois (top ten program) had its department administratively located in the engineering school. Go on google, type whatever school name and physics and go to the link how to apply which discusses both undergraduate and graduate admissions.

I am getting confused ,can you please tell me difference between physics at the college of arts and science and physics at engineering college because there are some school which are providing both option either physics at the college of arts and science or physics at engineering college .

ujjwal3097 said:
can you please tell me difference between physics at the college of arts and science and physics at engineering college because there are some school which are providing both option

Can you not find out from those universities' web sites the details (required classes, etc.) of the physics degrees under both options? If you're having trouble finding that information, tell us the name of one or two of those universities and maybe someone here can help you with that.

The physics program itself is usually the same at either type of college. Just make sure it's a good program, by looking at the courses that are given. The main difference is what courses you might take outside the physics program.

thank you guys a lot i figured it out .
this site is really helpful

1. What is the difference between studying physics at a liberal arts college and an engineering college?

At a liberal arts college, the focus is on a well-rounded education that includes a variety of subjects in addition to physics. This allows students to develop critical thinking and communication skills, as well as a broad understanding of the world. At an engineering college, the focus is primarily on technical and practical skills related to engineering, including in-depth study of physics and other STEM subjects.

2. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I attend a liberal arts college?

Yes, absolutely! While a liberal arts education may not have as strong of a focus on physics as an engineering college, it still provides a solid foundation in the subject and can prepare students for graduate studies or careers in the field. Many liberal arts colleges also offer opportunities for research and internships in physics-related fields.

3. Which type of college is better for undergraduate physics research opportunities?

Both liberal arts colleges and engineering colleges can offer excellent research opportunities for undergraduate physics students. Liberal arts colleges often have smaller class sizes, which can allow for more personalized attention and hands-on research experiences. Engineering colleges may have more advanced facilities and equipment, but also larger class sizes and potentially more competition for research opportunities.

4. Are the physics courses taught differently at liberal arts colleges compared to engineering colleges?

The overall content of physics courses is generally the same at both types of colleges, but the teaching methods may differ. Liberal arts colleges often emphasize discussion-based and collaborative learning, while engineering colleges may focus more on traditional lectures and problem-solving. However, both approaches can be effective in teaching physics concepts.

5. Which type of college is more suitable for students interested in interdisciplinary studies?

Liberal arts colleges tend to have a stronger emphasis on interdisciplinary studies, as students are encouraged to take courses in a variety of subjects. This can be beneficial for those interested in combining physics with other fields, such as philosophy, art, or environmental science. However, engineering colleges also offer opportunities for interdisciplinary studies, particularly in areas such as biomedical engineering or environmental engineering.