Get equation for velocity of a satellite

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
rcrx
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Derive an equation for the velocity around Earth. Satellite has no mass. Radius not given. Only period, G, and ME (earth)

G = 6.67X10^-11 nm^2/kg^2 | Earth = 5.98x10^24 kg | Period = T = 1.20x10^4s

I know I can find radius, and then find velocity. But I am supposed to derive an equation to suit the given information.

Homework Equations


V = √GM/r
V = 2πr / T

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not positive about my ability to cut r from the equations and merge them?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You say that you know that you can solve for radius and then find velocity, but you're supposed to derive an equation to suit the given information.

Well, solving for radius and then velocity is in a way doing what they asked, except just don't solve for r numerically!

Re arrange one of the equations so it's r = [...] and then put the [...] in as r for the other equation.