1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get recommendations for graduate schools while not in school?

  1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    I graduated in 2010 with a degree in math. Now I wish to go to graduate school, but I have no one I can think of that I would help me write a academic recommendation. I never build any relationships with professors when I was in college. From reading what I can online, I am told that I should take a course, or two to build new relationships with professors, but for me it is hard to run off, because I still have work, and job to do.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    You need letters from your old professors. It may not be the ideal situation, but you don't seem to have any alternatives - the letters have to come from people who went to grad school themselves.
  4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    I'm in a similar situation, but two of my physics professors have retired. :(
  5. Mar 12, 2013 #4


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Are there any courses that you did particularly well in? You could ask the instructors of those courses to write you a recommendation, even if you didn't build a relationship with them.

    And what about your personal tutor? I don't know about other countries, but all undergraduate students in the UK have personal tutors.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook