1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Getting a rhombus vertex from one vertex and its area

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    Hi there. Im tryin to solve this one, I know that if I find the way to get one more vertex i'd have it solved.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The point A(-1,8) is the vertex of a rhombus which minor diagonal is situated on the line L: [tex]L=\begin{Bmatrix} x=3\mu & \mbox{ }& \\y=1+4\mu & \mbox{}&\end{matrix}
    [/tex], [tex]\mu\in{R}[/tex]. Get the coordinates of the rest of the vertex knowing that the rhombus area is 30.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]A=\displaystyle\frac{dD}{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I haven't done too much. Actually I did some, but then I realized that I had confused something, cause I got the line L' where would be located the major D, but I've used for it the point A, and then I was trying to get the point of intersection between L and L', so then I doubled it, and I was going to get my second vertex, but then I realized that it was wrong, cause I couln't use point A, cause A don't belongs to L', it belongs to L, so...

[tex]30=\displaystyle\frac{dD}{2}\Rightarrow{60=dD}[/tex]

So, I don't know much about L', but that its perpendicular to L.

[tex]L'=\begin{Bmatrix} x=x_0+4/3\lambda & \mbox{ }& \\y=y_0-\lambda & \mbox{}&\end{matrix}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Telemachus! :smile:
    That's right :smile:, but from then on you're making it too complicated. :redface:

Hint: Where is the midpoint of the rhombus? :wink:

4. Jun 9, 2010 #3
    On the intersection between L and L', but how should I get L'? I thought maybe using pythagoric equation I could find another vertex, but im not too sure. I know it gives enough data, but I don't know how to use it.

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4
    I had a misunderstood, I think I was on the right way, cause actually I didn't corroborate if A belongs to L, and the sentence don't say so. I'll corroborate, if it doesn't I was on the right way, and it will be easy to solve, cause if A don't belongs to L, it must belongs to L'.

Bye there, and thanks.

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L' is perpendicular to L, and goes through A. :smile:

(and remember, you don't need to find L', you only need the midpoint :wink:)

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6
    How could I get the midpoint without L'? I thought of it as the intersection between L and L'.

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AM is on L', so it's perpendicular to L. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook