Trigonometry - Finding equation of line

In summary: And y=-\displaystyle\frac{\sqrt[ ]{22}}{cos 60º}, and that's the height of the triangle? And z=\displaystyle\frac{\sqrt[ ]{22}}{tan 60º}, and that's the hypotenuse?
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Consider P(2,1,3) and the line L: [tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x-y-5=0 \\z-1=0 \end{matrix}[/tex]
a) Find the equation of the line that pass through P and cuts L on a perpendicular angle.

b)Finds the points A and B in L in a way that PAB being an equilateral triangle.

Homework Equations

I've solved A, and I'm trying to solve b. I think that it can't be much difficult, cause I know all of the interior angles of PAB. I have a trigonometric problem. I've calculated the distance from L to P, so I got the high of the triangle. So, I know that [tex]sin 60º=h[/tex], I got [tex]h=\sqrt[ ]{22}[/tex], so what I know is that [tex]sin 60º=\sqrt[ ]{22}[/tex], so the cosine would be the half of the base. How should I get the base?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found L2: [tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x=2+5\mu \\y=1+7\mu \\z=3+4\mu \end{matrix}[/tex]. So, I need to find the points A and B on L.

Physics news on Phys.org

Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

Consider P(2,1,3) and the line L: [tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x-y-5=0 \\z-1=0 \end{matrix}[/tex]
a) Find the equation of the line that pass through P and cuts L on a perpendicular angle.

b)Finds the points A and B in L in a way that PAB being an equilateral triangle.

Homework Equations

I've solved A, and I'm trying to solve b. I think that it can't be much difficult, cause I know all of the interior angles of PAB. I have a trigonometric problem. I've calculated the distance from L to P, so I got the high of the triangle. So, I know that [tex]sin 60º=h[/tex]
No, sin 60º is the height divided by the hypotenuse, the distance from P to either A or B, not just h. And since you do not yet know what A or B are, you do not know that distance.
Fortunately, since [tex]sin(60º)= \sqrt{3}/{2}= h/hypotenuse[/tex], [tex]hypotenuse= 2h/\sqrt{3}[/tex]. And, of course, the base is equal to that so the distance from the foot of the perpendicular to the line from P is half the length of the hypotenuse.

, I got [tex]h=\sqrt[ ]{22}[/tex], so what I know is that [tex]sin 60º=\sqrt[ ]{22}[/tex], so the cosine would be the half of the base. How should I get the base?
Excuse me, but [tex]\sqrt{22}[/tex] is almost 5 and a sine cannot be larger than 1! No, [itex]sin(60º)= \sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. You can get that by dividing an equilateral triangle into two right triangles with angles 60º and 30º. If each side of the equilateral triangle has length L, then each right triangle has hypotenuse of length L, one leg, opposite the 30º angle, of length L/2, and the other leg, opposite the 60º angle, of length [tex]\sqrt{3}L/2[/itex], by the Pythagorean theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found L2: [tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x=2+5\mu \\y=1+7\mu \\z=3+4\mu \end{matrix}[/tex]. So, I need to find the points A and B on L.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks HallsofIvy.

So, what I got is that [tex]x=\displaystyle\frac{\sqrt[ ]{22}}{sin 60º}[/tex], and that's the length of the sides of the triangle, right?

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving triangles and is also applied in many other fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

What is the equation of a line in trigonometry?

The equation of a line in trigonometry is typically written as y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. In trigonometry, the slope and y-intercept can be represented using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

How do you find the slope of a line in trigonometry?

To find the slope of a line in trigonometry, you can use the tangent function, which is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in a right triangle. So, the slope of a line can be calculated by finding the tangent of the angle between the line and the x-axis.

How do you find the y-intercept of a line in trigonometry?

To find the y-intercept of a line in trigonometry, you can use the sine function, which is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. The y-intercept is the point where the line intersects with the y-axis, and it can be calculated by finding the sine of the angle between the line and the x-axis.

How is trigonometry used to find the equation of a line?

Trigonometry is used to find the equation of a line by using the properties of right triangles. By knowing the slope and y-intercept of a line, which can be calculated using trigonometric functions, the equation of the line can be written in the form y = mx + b. This can be applied to any line, whether it is horizontal, vertical, or has a specific slope and y-intercept.