Getting admission in Phd with a 3 year Bachelor Degrre?

In summary: Physics that you started in 2009. It may be possible to transfer any credits you have earned to a PhD program, but you would need to speak with the admissions office at your desired university to determine the specifics. If that is not a possibility, there is still a chance that you could be accepted into a PhD program, but it may be more difficult without a completed master's degree. Overall, it is important to do thorough research and speak with admissions offices to determine the best path for pursuing your career in Physics. In summary, the individual is 27 years old with a B.Sc in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science. They worked as a Software Engineer for 2 years before pursuing a Master's in Physics in 200
anandsingh
Hi,

I am 27 years old. I have completed my B.Sc(Maths, Physics, Computer Science) in 2007. Immediately after that I have got job as a Software Engineer and worked for 2 years(2007-2009). But due to my interest in pursuing Masters in Physics. I have joined in M.Sc(Physics) in 2009 and in final semester of second year(2011), due to some social & my personal problems I was unable to attend the exams and left. so it became incomplete. And after that due to financial problems, I have joined in job again as Software Engineer and started working till now.

I would like to pursue my career back in Physics. I want do PhD. Is there any chance I can get admission in PhD programs anywhere? Please let me know!

Thank you Very Much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose a lot can depend on what you mean by a "three year bachelor's degree." In my experience a three year undergraduate degree is not sufficient for admission to graduate school. But if you mean you happened to do a four year degree in three years then it probably isn't an issue. You did manage to get into a master's program, so a PhD somewhere doesn't seem completely unrealistic - particularly if you were successful in the courses that you completed.

On the surface it would seem that your best option might be to return and complete the MSc.

1. Can I get admission in a PhD program with a 3-year Bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to get admission in a PhD program with a 3-year Bachelor's degree. However, it is important to keep in mind that most PhD programs require a 4-year Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree. Some universities may require additional coursework or research experience to make up for the missing year.

2. Will having a 3-year Bachelor's degree affect my chances of getting into a good PhD program?

Having a 3-year Bachelor's degree may slightly affect your chances of getting into a top PhD program, as most programs prefer candidates with a 4-year degree. However, your chances may still be good if you have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and strong letters of recommendation.

3. Are there any specific requirements for getting admission in a PhD program with a 3-year Bachelor's degree?

Each university and program may have different requirements for admission in a PhD program with a 3-year Bachelor's degree. Some may require you to have a certain GPA, while others may require you to have completed specific coursework. It is important to thoroughly research the requirements of the program you are interested in.

4. Can I apply for a PhD program in a different field than my 3-year Bachelor's degree?

Yes, you can apply for a PhD program in a different field than your 3-year Bachelor's degree. However, you may need to take additional coursework or have relevant research experience in the field you are applying for. It is important to demonstrate your passion and qualifications for the specific field you are interested in.

5. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to other candidates with a 4-year Bachelor's degree?

Having a 3-year Bachelor's degree may put you at a slight disadvantage compared to other candidates with a 4-year degree. However, your chances of getting into a PhD program depend on various factors such as your academic background, research experience, and letters of recommendation. It is important to showcase your strengths and qualifications in your application.