Getting back up after failing? [Question specifically to Professors]

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of maintaining a good cumulative GPA despite failing a course in the first year of university. The discussion also mentions the importance of consistently performing well in courses and the potential impact on GPA if a course is retaken. Some individuals share their personal experiences and offer advice on how to improve grades and maintain a good GPA. The conversation also touches on the policies of different universities regarding retaking courses and calculating GPAs.
BioCore
Hey everyone,

I was wondering, specifically if the Professors or teachers could answer this; as to whether you have ever seen someone who has failed a course in their first year of university but was still able to maintain a very good CGPA? Something in the 3.50 range, that is though after done all 4 years of school.

The reason I ask is that I know that if you fail a course in university you get an automatic "0" even if you failed by 1%. We all know what a 0% does to the GPA, so I was just wondering if this has been accomplished.

I also ask this because I have somewhat slacking off in Calculus this year, I don't expect to fail but just in case and in the worst case scenario. Now Calculus isn't really that important to me, since I only need to take it in first year and won't need it later on. But is it possible to still gain a 3.50+ after all four years are finished?

Thanks for the answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
i got a D- in 2nd semester calc, and an A- in senior year real analysis, got into a top grad school, and am now a famous genius. (if you never heard of me its obviously your fault.)

You can pull yourself up, no doubt, but don't plan to do better later; start doing better now. If you don't improve now, there's not much to say that you can do it later on.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Mathemaniac, I was actually thinking of how I should do that. I was planning on starting right now with my latest test coming up to study more an put more effort into it. I can say proudly that I have put in twice the amount of effort already so hopefully I will change for the better.

I am also planning on starting to reread most of the major topics again to understand them fully and to be able to grasp all the concept better.

You should also check your school's policy on calculating GPA if you retake a class. Some will average the two attempts, some will disregard the first attempt if you pass on a second attempt, some will just count each in your GPA, etc. How they weight it would change the way it impacts your GPA (I'm assuming if you fail you will need to retake the course...or will at least be faced with deciding if you are going to retake it).

someone in my class who made a 30 on his first test, winding up getting the highest test grade(90) on his second test.

basically any amount of poor performance can be forgiven, and usually is, IF it is followed by an UNBROKEN string of success later. (except in les miserables.)

Last time I checked, they use the first grade in your CGPA calculation, and the second one only appears on your transcript.

Benzoate, seems that guy really worked hard for the second test. I just hope my efforts will show some improvement in the final; as my final is worth 50% of my final grade. Currently I have around a 60% in the course so I hope I won't screw up.

mathwonk said:
basically any amount of poor performance can be forgiven, and usually is, IF it is followed by an UNBROKEN string of success later. (except in les miserables.)
And success qualifies as which grade point...?

Defennnder said:
And success qualifies as which grade point...?

I am guessing if you can show that you don't fail or drop back to that certain GPA level as before then you probably have a good chance. I know that at my University, if a student has somewhere between 1.50-1.85 CGPA they are put on probation until the next session is over and they have proven to be able to keep up their marks.

1. How can I bounce back after experiencing a major failure in my research?

It is important to acknowledge and accept the failure, but also to view it as a learning opportunity. Reflect on what went wrong and use that insight to make changes and improvements for future research. Seek support from colleagues and mentors, and don't be afraid to reach out for help.

2. I feel discouraged after failing multiple times. How can I stay motivated to continue pursuing my research?

Remember that failure is a natural and necessary part of the research process. Each failure brings you one step closer to success. Set realistic goals and celebrate small victories. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can help keep you motivated.

3. How can I overcome the fear of failing again in my research?

Acknowledge the fear, but also recognize that it is a normal and common emotion. Use the fear as motivation to work harder and smarter. Develop a plan for how to handle potential failures and setbacks, and remind yourself that failure does not define your worth or abilities as a researcher.

4. What are some strategies for improving resilience and bouncing back after a research failure?

Develop a growth mindset, where you view challenges and failures as opportunities for growth and learning. Practice self-care and prioritize your physical and mental well-being. Seek feedback and constructive criticism from others, and use it to improve your research skills and techniques.

5. Can you share a personal experience of a research failure and how you overcame it?

As a scientist, I have experienced numerous research failures throughout my career. One particular failure stands out to me, when a major experiment did not produce the expected results. I felt discouraged and frustrated, but I took the time to reflect on what went wrong and made changes to my experimental design. I also sought feedback from colleagues and mentors, who provided valuable insights and encouragement. Through perseverance and determination, I was able to successfully complete the experiment and publish my findings. This failure taught me the importance of resilience and learning from setbacks in research.