1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting back up after failing? [Question specifically to Professors]

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering, specifically if the Professors or teachers could answer this; as to whether you have ever seen someone who has failed a course in their first year of university but was still able to maintain a very good CGPA? Something in the 3.50 range, that is though after done all 4 years of school.

The reason I ask is that I know that if you fail a course in university you get an automatic "0" even if you failed by 1%. We all know what a 0% does to the GPA, so I was just wondering if this has been accomplished.

I also ask this because I have somewhat slacking off in Calculus this year, I don't expect to fail but just in case and in the worst case scenario. Now Calculus isn't really that important to me, since I only need to take it in first year and won't need it later on. But is it possible to still gain a 3.50+ after all four years are finished?

Thanks for the answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i got a D- in 2nd semester calc, and an A- in senior year real analysis, got into a top grad school, and am now a famous genius. (if you never heard of me its obviously your fault.)

4. Apr 2, 2008 #3
    You can pull yourself up, no doubt, but don't plan to do better later; start doing better now. If you don't improve now, there's not much to say that you can do it later on.

5. Apr 2, 2008 #4
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Mathemaniac, I was actually thinking of how I should do that. I was planning on starting right now with my latest test coming up to study more an put more effort into it. I can say proudly that I have put in twice the amount of effort already so hopefully I will change for the better.

I am also planning on starting to reread most of the major topics again to understand them fully and to be able to grasp all the concept better.

6. Apr 3, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should also check your school's policy on calculating GPA if you retake a class. Some will average the two attempts, some will disregard the first attempt if you pass on a second attempt, some will just count each in your GPA, etc. How they weight it would change the way it impacts your GPA (I'm assuming if you fail you will need to retake the course...or will at least be faced with deciding if you are going to retake it).

7. Apr 3, 2008 #6
    someone in my class who made a 30 on his first test, winding up getting the highest test grade(90) on his second test.

8. Apr 3, 2008 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

basically any amount of poor performance can be forgiven, and usually is, IF it is followed by an UNBROKEN string of success later. (except in les miserables.)

9. Apr 3, 2008 #8
    Last time I checked, they use the first grade in your CGPA calculation, and the second one only appears on your transcript.

Benzoate, seems that guy really worked hard for the second test. I just hope my efforts will show some improvement in the final; as my final is worth 50% of my final grade. Currently I have around a 60% in the course so I hope I won't screw up.

10. Apr 3, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

And success qualifies as which grade point...?

11. Apr 4, 2008 #10
    I am guessing if you can show that you don't fail or drop back to that certain GPA level as before then you probably have a good chance. I know that at my University, if a student has somewhere between 1.50-1.85 CGPA they are put on probation until the next session is over and they have proven to be able to keep up their marks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?