1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into Engineering with an MSc?

  1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    I'm a UK physics student studying for a Bachelors in Science. I'm thinking about my options post graduation and various engineering roles sound quite appealing. I know the general advice is to study engineering at undergraduate level if that's the sector one intends to work in, but I'm in my second year of four so that ship has already sailed.

    However quite a few UK universities offer an MSc in various engineering fields. Can anyone give a sense of the kind of chances I might have to work in Engineering if I complete one of these courses?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2
    If you would like to work as an engineer than I think your best option is getting your bachelors in engineering. Going from a bachelors in Physics to masters in Engineering is going to likely be atleast a year of prereq engineering courses then the 2 years for the master degree plus your 2 remaining years of undergrad. Where as if you switch now you could probally have your bachelors in engineering in 3 to 3.5 years because being a physics student you should have all your math and science courses done.

    Don't put alot of time effort and money into a physics degree if you really want to be an engineer. Plus there is alot of fundamental knowledge you will miss out on by skipping the bachelors in engineering and going right to masters from a physics degree.
  4. Feb 18, 2014 #3
    Have you already talked to advisers about getting into engineering MSc with only a physics background? I did (in the US) and I found that I had so many deficiencies to take that I might as well do a BS in engineering. So that is what I am doing now. Also, the BS is much cheaper, allows for professional licencing (unlike the MSc) and the BS program organizes paid internships.
  5. Feb 18, 2014 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I recommend you check what the requirements are for different kinds of engineers in the UK. I do know that in the US, certain types of engineers (especially Civil engineers) are essentially required to get a professional engineers certificate in order to work on most projects. This certificate requires a BS in engineering from an accredited university - a physics undergrad with an Engineering Masters degree is not accepted. I'm sure that every country does this differently...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook