Can Diet Alone Get Rid of Cholesterol and Saturated Fat?

• Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
In summary: So people with higher HDL levels have a lower risk of heart disease.The best way to reduce your risk of heart disease is through a healthy diet and regular exercise. People with high cholesterol levels have a lower risk of heart disease if they have high levels of HDL.
The_Professional
Let's say I had 2 slices of regular pizza, and on the following week after that I had 3 pieces of extra crispy from kfc, then the week after I had some tacos.

How long does it take for the body to get rid of the cholesterol and saturated fat? I read that it would take at least three months, is this true? Is there a much efficient, faster way of doing so?

Biology news on Phys.org
What I heard is that excess cholesterol is secreted by the bile ducts back into the gastrointestinal tract (gastrohepatic cycle) in healthy individuals. The other day I heard that ginger helps digestion by stimulating the bile secretion, I'm not sure about the validity of that.

The best way to get rid of cholesterol is by not eating it :rolleyes::wink:

Monique said:
What I heard is that excess cholesterol is secreted by the bile ducts back into the gastrointestinal tract (gastrohepatic cycle) in healthy individuals. The other day I heard that ginger helps digestion by stimulating the bile secretion, I'm not sure about the validity of that.

The best way to get rid of cholesterol is by not eating it :rolleyes::wink:

But it's oh so hard m'lady

The_Professional said:
Let's say I had 2 slices of regular pizza, and on the following week after that I had 3 pieces of extra crispy from kfc, then the week after I had some tacos.

Cholesterol won't be your main problem if you're only eating once a week. :biggrin:

Assuming you're eating healthy food in between the ocassional take-out food, this doesn't sound like it would really be a problem. Remember, you need some cholesterol to stay healthy, so you never want to cut out all cholesterol from your diet, just the excess.

I don't think the clearance rate is too slow unless you have a condition that hinders cholesterol clearance.

This article is free to access:
Sudhop T, Sahin Y, Lindenthal B, Hahn C, Luers C, Berthold HK, von Bergmann K. Comparison of the hepatic clearances of campesterol, sitosterol, and cholesterol in healthy subjects suggests that efflux transporters controlling intestinal sterol absorption also regulate biliary secretion. Gut. 2002 Dec;51(6):860-3.

http://gut.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/51/6/860

Cholesterol an essential dietary nutrient?

Moonbear said:
you need some cholesterol to stay healthy, so you never want to cut out all cholesterol from your diet
Humans do not require any dietary cholesterol:
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/325/7095/34042.html?d=dmtContent [Broken]

• Cholesterol is essential for human life. It builds and repairs cells, it is used to produce sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone, it is converted to bile acids to help you digest food and it is found in large amounts in brain and nerve tissue. The liver produces enough cholesterol to satisfy these functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how much stock to put into this, but some people tell me to eat a fiber-rich food along with cholesterol-laden food. That way, the fiber helps prevent digestion of the cholesterol/fat/etc (i.e., that stuff sorbs to the undigestable fiber). Anyone with any insights into that claim?

Eating healthy but retaining high cholesterol condition

Monique said:
The best way to get rid of cholesterol is by not eating it
The human liver produces cholesterol, Monique. There are people who have high/poor cholesterol values and who consume virtually none:
http://www.google.com/search?q="my+cholesterol+is+still+high"

• Q: I really do follow a good, diet and exercise regularly, but my cholesterol is still high. Why?

• Even though most people on the diet drop their cholesterol levels, it wasn't true for me. My cholesterol is still high.

• I'm trying to lower my cholesterol through diet, losing weight, and excersise. I've lost 17 pounds already, but I found out my cholesterol is still high.

• I've been eating healthy and exercising, but my cholesterol is still high.

Last edited:
True, but the more fatty/excess food a person eats, the more cholesterol the body produces. (i.e., those people would be even worse off if they ate fried food every night)

And then there's the whole HDL/LDL thing...a higher HDL ("good cholesterol") helps reduce LDL ("bad cholesterol").

What is cholesterol and why is it important?

Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the cells of our body and is essential for the production of hormones, vitamin D, and bile acids. It is also important for the functioning of our nervous system and for building and maintaining cell membranes.

What causes high levels of cholesterol?

High levels of cholesterol can be caused by a combination of factors, including genetics, diet, and lifestyle choices. Consuming too much saturated and trans fats, lack of physical activity, smoking, and excessive alcohol consumption can all contribute to high cholesterol levels.

Can cholesterol be lowered without medication?

Yes, lifestyle changes such as maintaining a healthy weight, following a balanced diet low in saturated and trans fats, and regular exercise can help lower cholesterol levels. These changes can also improve overall health and reduce the risk of heart disease.

What are some foods that can help lower cholesterol?

Foods high in soluble fiber, such as oatmeal, beans, and fruits, can help lower cholesterol levels. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and walnuts, can also have a positive effect on cholesterol levels. It is important to limit the intake of saturated and trans fats found in foods like red meat, fried foods, and processed snacks.

Is all cholesterol bad for you?

No, there are two types of cholesterol: LDL (bad) cholesterol and HDL (good) cholesterol. LDL cholesterol can build up in the arteries and increase the risk of heart disease, while HDL cholesterol helps remove excess cholesterol from the body. Maintaining a healthy balance between these two types of cholesterol is important for overall health.